So sorry guys but I'd really appreciate some help :\

Hi everybody, it’s my first post here (of many probable future posts lol), so a quick intro…

I’m an old hat with computers and all things emulation, still much in love with my old c64 to this day <3. Making the switch from hyperspin the Retroarch recently and I’m well impressed so far, but…

I’ve set up a bunch of cores (nes, snes, megadrive, tb16 etc…) and they all work fine but i’m having some issues with a couple in particular. I got all the cores in question through the core updater btw. Also I’m using the 64bit version and I’m on windows 8.1.

The first is Mupen64plus, I scan my roms but they refuse to show up. There’s no new playlist file being generated, it’s says and shows it’s scanning x amount of roms, but getting back to the main screen there’s no n64 slot and no roms found. I can manually load & detect core and the roms work fine, but it won’t ’ integrate’ the roms into the xmb like with the other systems. And I’d love to, so… HELP!!! It’s the same deal with the Atari 2600 :S

The other main issue is with bluemsx, it just crashes retroarch on trying to load a rom, is it broken or am I doing something wrong here?

And if I can trouble you all just a little more, PPSSPP, psx and saturn files won’t create playlists either despite my having .cue files, they say they scan and nothing.

Anyhows, any helps appreciated and sorry for being a pain. Retroarch is fantastic, but a little foreign to me at the moment.

Edit: Just checked around, and I don’t even have an Atari.rdb after updating databases, can I use one I download from anywhere?

Get a windows version of BlueMSX, copy the “Databases” and “Machines” folders into your retroarch System folder (to have Retroarch/system/databases and Retroarch/system/machines).

I think the scanning feature only recognize sets made by the No-Intro group. It’s a new feature and doesn’t work with disc images yet.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;27283]Get a windows version of BlueMSX, copy the “Databases” and “Machines” folders into your retroarch System folder (to have Retroarch/system/databases and Retroarch/system/machines).

I think the scanning feature only recognize sets made by the No-Intro group. It’s a new feature and doesn’t work with disc images yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch man, tried that with BlueMSX, still crashes though, not sure where the retroarch logs are stored to check it out. Tried fMSX but the roms don’t boot, all I get is a black screen, have the MSX bios files in the system folder as well so I’m not sure what’s going on.

To get a log you can make a .bat with: retroarch --menu --verbose > log.txt 2>&1

thanks guy, got a log. It’s seems BlueMSX core just crashes without error. Retroarch crashes “Application has stopped working” windows stye. Wish to buggery I could get fMSX working :\

Try an older version of the BlueMSX core if you can find one. I was having the same problem with the 4DO core and it turns out the latest update on the 24th broke it . I went back to the August 15th version of the core and it’s fine.

Ahhh, sounds great, will do thanks heaps. Now all gotta do is find an old version lol. Not sure where they’re kept.

I’m on the latest version here and it’s working fine. There’s something else. Are you using per-core config, using .rom files?

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;27395]I’m on the latest version here and it’s working fine. There’s something else. Are you using per-core config, using .rom files?[/QUOTE]

Yes to both, I am indeed. I’ve even got the msx bios files unzipped (disk.rom etc…) into the /system folder along with the machines and databases (so it’s /system/databases/ and /system/machines/) folders from bluemsx.

Having said that, trying fmsx, all I get is a black screen (doesn’t crash, can press guide to go to menu jst fine). So bluemsx=crash fmsx=nothing happening :\ so weird and I’m sure I must be missing something. I’m on the latest cores for both from the online updater and I’ve also tried the latesst nightly cores from the site.

See in your config folder if your bluemsx_libretro.dll.cfg and fmsx_libretro.dll.cfg aren’t doing something bad. Like if your retroarch.cfg (the main one in your Retroarch folder) is using menu_driver = “glui” and your other configs are using menu_driver = “xmb” that’s going to cause a crash. Same for video_driver = “gl” and video_driver = “d3d” I think.

Well, just disable per-core config and try if that works first (put it off, quit retroarch so that it saves it, launch again, load core and rom…).

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;27404]See in your config folder if your bluemsx_libretro.dll.cfg and fmsx_libretro.dll.cfg aren’t doing something bad. Like if your retroarch.cfg (the main one in your Retroarch folder) is using menu_driver = “glui” and your other configs are using menu_driver = “xmb” that’s going to cause a crash. Same for video_driver = “gl” and video_driver = “d3d” I think.

Well, just disable per-core config and try if that works first (put it off, quit retroarch so that it saves it, launch again, load core and rom…).[/QUOTE]

YES!!! THANKYOU!!!

Somehow my /system entry was incorrect in all individual cores, don’t know how that happened, must have slipped up one night. fMSX is working now even PPSSPP managedto run a couple of isos (not peace walker unfortunatley).

Very happy though, thanks to everyone and you’ve made a friend on the internet today, anyone you need ‘taken care of’, just call me lol.

Glad it’s working now. :slight_smile:

Never trust the per-core config option. I’m using it but if there is any problem I try without them and inspect the cfg. And you can “batch edit” them with a bit of imagination.

BlueMsx is great but don’t read .dsk files. There are some tools to convert a dsk file to a rom file (dsk2rom). It works great for a single disk game from what I tested. There’s someone who made an Aleste II rom from multiple disks too, that’s great stuff.