[Solved] JXD S7800B vsync issues with official Kit-Kat firmware

Hi guys,

I picked up a JXD recently (my second one having killed my first) and flashed it with the official 4.4.4 update from http://www.jxdofficial.com/firmware. This fixes the 66 Hz bug that drove me nuts with the first one I had. I get constant smooth scrolling with other emulators (e.g. MAME4droid, MD.emu) but strangely not RetroArch for some reason. I’m using v1.3.4 which works flawlessly with my GPD XD and Nexus 9 devices. I tried reverting to v1.3.0 as some users reported better compatibility with that version, but it behaves the same.

Scrolling is generally smooth, but every few seconds there is a jitter, i.e. a handful of frames get dropped. This is barely noticeable for more games, but it is annoying and it would be good to know if there are any settings I can tweak to fix it. I have turned off threaded video and audio sync but this doesn’t improve the issue. A good ROM to observe this is Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin for Megadrive / Genesis with Genesis Plus GX or Picodrive cores. There is an old-school scrolling text message in the intro.

I’m sure this is an issue with the device rather than with RetroArch, but the issue might not be unique to this firmware. I was able to get perfect vsync on my first one with the original Jelly Bean firmware and lujji’s kernel patch. I may revert to that version, but I was hoping to not go back to a custom firmware if I can help it. It’s no big deal. Ever since that input bug got fixed my love affair with RetroArch on Android is totally back on! It would be wonderful to see it play nice with the JXD again.

Thanks.

Have you tried the all the versions between 1.3.0 and 1.3.4?

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I recently revisited this issue and tried flashing my JXD with this custom ROM:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/(s7800)-kitkat-custom-firmware-(android-4-4-4)/

RetroArch works like a dream now, 100%. No tearing, no jittering, just perfect 60 FPS.