[Solved] (Linux) libretro-fba: Sound is crackling in SF3 3rd Strike

Hi.

Thank for your reply.

I just tried a different rom and it didn’t work.

Is this the list?: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GaqIIoiWbzKHwZ52S2xCSDQXILo81Ls1mHK6czKGAtM/edit?usp=sharing

Hi.

Yes, the game doesn’t drop from 60fps. I also tried to disable every shader.

It’s a constant crackling noise that doesn’t seems to be related to the game sound. Like the old tv’s when no channel was on.

oh ok. weird. I’ll try to reproduce on my linux laptop when I get home from work.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I just tried to install retroarch and the libretro-fba core on a live usb of gnome ubuntu 16.04 (kernel 4.4) and the sound is ok.

So either is a problem with Ubuntu using the 4.4 kernel or is just the installation on my desktop.

I will try on my laptop that is running the same distro as my desktop (Ubuntu 14.04 kernel 4.4) to see if it shows the same problem.

If you try it, could you tell me what is your distro?

Thanks again.

ubuntu. I think it’s 16.04.

Can you try moving ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg somewhere else and let it generate a fresh config to see if that changes anything?

[QUOTE=hunterk;52213]ubuntu. I think it’s 16.04.

Can you try moving ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg somewhere else and let it generate a fresh config to see if that changes anything?[/QUOTE]

Hi.

I just tried on my laptop and i have the same problem that i have on my desktop.

Just to clarify:

• Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 4.4: Two computers have the same problem. Libretro-fba sound with cps-3 games is glitchy. It doesn’t seem to change with the music, just noise.

I tried three games. Jojo’s, Street fighter 3rd Strike and 2nd Impact and all of them have the same problem.

The Laptop never had retroarch installed, so it’s not the configuration.

On my desktop i tried to remove the configuration folder (everything from the cfg file to shaders) and isolate the rom so that wasn’t affected by save states and the result was the same.

• Gnome Ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.4 doesn’t have this problem. The sound is normal.

Unfortunately i can’t tell if is a retroarch dependency or a kernel problem because when i had the 3.19 kernel on 14.04 there was a period of time that i didn’t start the program, but before, everything was working well.

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps pulseaudio (or alsa ?) is glitchy on ubuntu 14.04 ? Did you try switching audio driver ?

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

No, because apart from retroarch fba with cps-3 games, everything is working well and not so long ago cps-3 games were working fine as well.

FBA Cps-1 Cps-2 and Neo-Geo is working fine, so it must be some simple thing.

Just tested it. No problems here using 4.4 kernel on 16.04

Yes, 16.04 seems to be ok.

I just checked the packages that libretro-fba, libretro-fba-cps1, 2 and neogeo depend, and all of them depends of the same packages.

In theory, if one worked, all of them should work.

[QUOTE=Astro City;52278]Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

No, because apart from retroarch fba with cps-3 games, everything is working well and not so long ago cps-3 games were working fine as well.

FBA Cps-1 Cps-2 and Neo-Geo is working fine, so it must be some simple thing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not so long ago, libretro-fba used 32kHz audio, now it uses 48kHz audio as per upstream recommendation (sound in some games won’t work properly without it). And i suppose it’s possible pulseaudio don’t handle 48kHz audio well on ubuntu 14.04.

Edit : Are you sure it’s libretro-fba and not libretro-fba2012 ?

[QUOTE=BarbuDreadMon;52290]Yes, but not so long ago, libretro-fba used 32kHz audio, now it uses 48kHz audio as per upstream recommendation (sound in some games won’t work properly without it). And i suppose it’s possible pulseaudio don’t handle 48kHz audio well on ubuntu 14.04.

Edit : Are you sure it’s libretro-fba and not libretro-fba2012 ?[/QUOTE]

Hi.

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you know when this change was made? Last 5 months?

I have this version: 0.2.97.39+r158+n56+co39+ct53~18~ubuntu14.04.1. According to the romlist link that i posted before it doesn’t seem to be the 2012 version.

I did it 2 weeks ago. Last commit before those changes is https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/commit/b9308c1ee3868ca48ed1288247f8431ecbbe8b8d, perhaps you should try building with this commit to see if this change of hardcoded samplerate is the cause of your issue on ubuntu 14.04. If so, then i suppose i’ll have to provide a way to change samplerate through core options instead of hardcoding them.

[QUOTE=BarbuDreadMon;52340]I did it 2 weeks ago. Last commit before those changes is https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/commit/b9308c1ee3868ca48ed1288247f8431ecbbe8b8d, perhaps you should try building with this commit to see if this change of hardcoded samplerate is the cause of your issue on ubuntu 14.04. If so, then i suppose i’ll have to provide a way to change samplerate through core options instead of hardcoding them.[/QUOTE]

Hi.

Thanks for all the trouble.

Unfortunately i’m really noob and i’m not quite sure if i understood what you mean. Is that a simple thing to do?

This change must have been introduced in the last version of libretro-fba. Wouldn’t it be easier if i tried to grab a previous version of that package or would that not be compatible with the most recent retroarch?

Do you know anybody else that is running 14.04? I tried to ask a user ( sergio-br2 ) in another thread that seems to be using it, but he didn’t replied yet. It would be better to know for sure this is really a 14.04 problem. I tried on two computers and both showed this problem, but just to be sure…

Thanks again.

It’s running well on Ubuntu 14.04, kernel 3.13.0-103-generic.

Btw, I can’t load sfii3.zip + cap-33s-2.chd anymore, I thought it was following mame rom set.

Edit: I’m using xfce

[QUOTE=sergio-br2;52369]It’s running well on Ubuntu 14.04, kernel 3.13.0-103-generic.

Btw, I can’t load sfii3.zip + cap-33s-2.chd anymore, I thought it was following mame rom set.

Edit: I’m using xfce[/QUOTE]

Hi.

Thanks for answering my question.

It seems that is something related to 14.04 and kernel 4.4. I think that the packages are the same is just the kernel that is different.

Do you use just the sfiii3.zip or the zip plus the chd? I used just this zip file “Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (Euro 990608) with 67mb”. This one was working before, then recently the sound have the problem described in this thread.

I also tried this with the same results:

[LEFT]JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future / JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Mirai e no Isan (Japan 990927) with 51mb.

[LEFT][FONT=Arial]Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Giant Attack (USA 970930) with 41mb. [/LEFT] [/FONT][/LEFT]

Could you tell me the name of the rom that you tried?

Thanks.

Hi.

Sorry for the bump, but I’m still trying to find what is causing this issue.

Since i only noticed when i made the upgrade from kernel 3.19 to 4.4 ( hwe support ended) and a user was not having any problems in 3.13 i removed everything related to xenial (4.4) and put the kernel 3.13.

dpkg -l | grep -i xenial shows no results.

Following the recomendation of a user i also tried to disable pulseaudio by copying the client.conf to ~/.config/pulse/ and editing the autospawn to no, but it also didn’t work.

Does anybody have some new hints?

Thanks.

I think i found out what the problem is.

It has something to do with the audio_out_rate setting.

If i change this setting in the cfg file ( it’s not possible to change it on the retroarch menu ) to a value greater than 48019, the audio starts to work like it should.

I will do some more tests to see if i can replicate the fix in another computer and will post more later.

I didn’t know at the time, but this issue doesn’t affect just cps3 games, but everything loaded with libretro-fba. I thought that everything apart from cps1 cps2 and neogeo games had to be loaded with libretro-fba. Yeah i know…

How to fix the sound problem.