[SOLVED] Mischief Makers - No Controls

I have N64 running great on my system, but I just booted up Mischief makers for the first time.

It doesn’t respond to any controls, of any kind. I made sure in Quick Menu>Controls that it was set to controller. I tried doing it with no other controllers ‘plugged in’ (p2-p4 set to 'nothing) I also tried changing all the controllers from memory paks to nothing.

Can someone else boot this game and see if you can use controls? I can’t fathom what would be causing this. I have no overrides for this title.

EDIT: I was too stupid to put my info here lol

Parallel core Windows

No problems here with ParaLLEl-N64 in Linux.

I never had any problems with it in ParaLLEl or the old Glupen core on Windows. Haven’t tried it in the newer Mupen core.

I’m using the latest Parallel on Windows10.

I can’t fathom what’s going wrong. I booted up several other games, they all work fine. I checked the inputs, they are all set to my keyboard as per usual, where I run my controllers through xpadder (minus analogue functions)

So, usually when there’s a controller issue I can test the keyboard, and F1 opens the menu, ~ fast forwards, Backspace rewinds all the standard stuff works. Just nothing related to actually controlling the game. Only RA functions

I even saved a state at the title screen so I could test for when/if I get start to work lol

I found one other mention of this issue on the forums here:

I haven’t tried anything with Dragon Sword, and I tried setting controller to “controller” but no go.

I’m at a total loss for what might be happening here or what I could try to test it otherwise.

Well, i guess the easiest thing to do is try it with a fresh RA installation (i.e., no configs, no overrides, etc.) and see if it acts the same.

Alright, so I finally got around to trying it with a fresh install… Latest Nightly RA as of this post and used the core-downloader function to get a new Parallel core.

Same problem! :’( No controls work! I checked Quick>Menu Controls made sure Player 1 was set to “Controller”. I didn’t change any controller or input settings aside from that.

Anyone have any other ideas? It seems nothing short of bizarre that this one random game wouldn’t accept control inputs.

EDIT: Running a google search it looks like there are some older issues related to Mupen that show this was happening to some people. Parallel is based on Mupen, right? Maybe something has popped back up…

But then again, it’s working on your guys end… so I don’t even… seriously I’m so spun around this is just plain weird.

FIGURED IT OUT!

It was the ROM - somehow… I have verified no-intro sets, so I’m very surprised to say this… but the ROM in there must be ‘broken’ or something.

I got another one from ‘another place’ and SHABOOEY! It totally works!

Never seen anything like that before, but I hope anyone running into that issue finds this thread.

1 Like

Just wanted to add that it looks like the v1.1 from is what has problems with Parrallel. 1.0 roms should be A-OK