[SOLVED] Newbie issue downloading the cores

Hi All,

this is my first post here, I would say above all thanks for your great job.

I have a very newbie issue and I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. I installed Retroarch on Debian Stretch AMD64, I modified the retroarch.cfg to save the cores on the home but if I download for example just one core then I am unable to download others. I see only the one I downloaded and I don’t find anymore how to show the full list:

I am feeling pretty stupid and I don’t understand if it is my fault or a bug of the application.

Thanks,

Danielsan

IIRC, the debian package is intended to use apt/synaptic package manager for downloading cores. If you would rather use the cores from our buildbot, you can compile RetroArch yourself or use either our flatpak or appimage packages, which all have the core updater enabled.

Thanks for your reply, however I believe I was unclear.

Let me recap what I did.

1. I launched Retroarch which is without cores by default.

2. I went to the core section, as you see is empty:

1. I downloaded the cores list:

As you can see I have all the core available for the download.

1. I decided to download the PUE Amiga just for doing a proof but after I was unable to see or download again the entire list, I have only the one I downloaded as first:

What I am doing wrong? Why can’t I see the list again?

Thanks!

Yeah, I knew what you meant. The older debian/ubuntu packaging patched out the core updater altogether, but that one place conditionally added it back in when there are no cores present. That is, the fact that you could get to it at all was an oversight.

The newer packaging stops patching it out and instead toggles its visibility using a new option we added. It just hasn’t trickled down to the debian repos yet, it seems. That’s neither here nor there, though.

Long story short: use the package manager for cores, get one of our alternate packages that doesn’t hide/disable the core downloader, compile yourself or go download the core libs manually from buildbot.libretro.com and plop them into your cores directory.

Thank again. So let me try out the flatpak package I am just bit concerned to have poor performance, I’ll let you know!

performance should be identical across the package manager version, flatpak and appimage, so if you experience otherwise, please do let us know :slight_smile:

Let me say the Flatpak version went very smooth on Debian at least with the first tests I did; All the issues I had above were solved, I had just trivial issues with the pad because it wasn’t recognized automatically so the exit combination hadn’t worked properly until I found were activating it.

Just one thing to add…

I created a symbolic link to copy the configuration folder from a .var/something_very_nested folder made by flatpak to the regular position in .config/retroarch.

1 Like

Update: I am having some issue with a mame roms folder, beside the fact the roms aren’t recognized (this same set worked fine on Pi2 and RetroPie) I have been having many crash:

retroarch[16704]: segfault at 7ffc00010006 ip 000000000042e12d sp 00007f2afcc42d90 error 4 in retroarch[400000+4cd000]

perf: interrupt took too long (3138 > 3128), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 63500