[SOLVED] Problem with shaders loading overrides

Hi,

(UPDATE: Does not seem to happen on d3d11 driver, only on glcore driver).

(UPDATE 2: Tried on my other computer with nvidia GPU and results are the same).

I’m updating my Retroarch to latest 1.7.8 v2 (windows x64), and converting my old config overrides to the new ones, using the new shader config files system, where you cannot specify the “video_shader =” option anymore, and instead, I’m creating presets for my content directories and my per-game overrides.

Unfortunately, seems like there’s a bug on the overriding system for shaders. If I have a shader preset for my contentdir (for example Nintendo Super NES.slangp), and then a shader preset override for any game (for example Super Mario World (USA).slangp), If I try to load this game, the image will look strange, with wrong colors and various artifacts. It’s like… if it was loading both presets and applying one over the other with bizarre results.

It does not matter if I load the game via cli or via xmb, same result. If I press F1 and go to Quick Menu > Shaders and I click on “Apply shader” (without changing anything else), the shader will apply correctly and the problem will be gone.

This happens only when using any combination of shaders overrides (core and then pergame or contentdir and then pergame). I’m using glcore as video driver. I’ve also tried with d3d10, d3d11, vulkan, and even with gl (using glsl shaders in this case) and the problem only happens with glcore video driver.

Tried to modify the “video_shader_delay” value to 2000 (2 seconds) for example, and result is the same. It will load the shaders 2 seconds later but will load them wrong again.

Tried with different cores (bsnes mercury and snes9x) and it happens for both of them.

I don’t have any strange or unsupported option setup on my config overrides (I even tried disabling completely my bsnes and snes9x config overrides). I’m using a clean installation, so I don’t think it’s a problem of broken configuration.

I’ll update the post with any discovery, I will also test on my other PC <- I already did, it’s the same.

Greetings.

Hi,

This is embarassing. Seems like the problem was indeed on the shader presets I was using which were somewhat “broken”. I don’t know yet what was wrong about them, but when loaded, randomly loaded wrong (1 or 2 of every 3 loads) causing strange artifacts on screen. It was being triggered more frequently when using a game override, but nevermind.

I’ve completely redone my shader presets (previously I just “converted” my old glsl presets to slang and something had to be wrong about them) from RA gui itself and now all the tests I’ve done with several overrides seem to work perfectly. So I will close this post.

Greetings.

Ok, no worries. I’m glad you’re getting it cleared up. Let us know if you run into anything else weird.