[Solved] RA 1.4.0 not showing thumbs with "&" and "/" in the filename

While testing my migration to the 1.4.0 binaries available at the buildbot, it seems that the new version is not recognizing/opening image files with special characters (like “&” and “/”) in the name.

I have both a 1.4.0 and a 1.3.6 installation with the same playlists and set to the same thumbnail folder, while the 1.3.6 shows the images perfectly, the 1.4.0 simply don’t load those files.

I’m running both Windows (10) and Retroarch in their x64 versions.

I haven’t tested on my android device.

Is that a bug or some is there some new option to allow it reading those files?

I think that’s because not all platforms handle those characters gracefully. The thumbnails databases have been modified to fix that, though, so if you can re-download them, everything should work properly.

1 Like

If you rename the image files, replacing those characters with an underscore ( _ ) that should do the trick.

It probably is best to download the thumbnail packs again though – there have been major improvements to the thumbnail database other than just cross-platform filenames over the last few months.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

It was exactly as marskwkidd described. I downloaded most of them again and renamed some of the images i custom made myself.

You can check what the filenames would check for over at: https://github.com/RobLoach/libretro-thumbnails-check/blob/master/out/README.md#libretro-thumbnails-check-report

1 Like