[solved] stutter with nvidia in any os

For several days I have been trying to solve a nasty stuttering I experience in two nvidia setups (gaming laptop and gaming rig). It is random stuttering, noticeable, and not regular, sometimes very noticeable with slowdowns. This is the summary of the findings:

TESTED SYSTEMS:

1 - Laptop with 16GB RAM, i7, nVIDIA m980GT 4GB, SSD harddisks, Linux Mint, Windows 10. Clean. 2 - Rig with 32GB RAM, i7, nVIDIA 980GT 4GB, SSD harddisks, Windows 10

Both with a CRT connected via VGA port(laptop) and DVI-VGA converter (rig)

FINDINGS:

• Happens on ANY OS the same way: Tried Lakka, Linux Mint, OpenSUSE, Windows 10.
  • Happens with almost ANY Nvidia preset, some presets can lower the effect a bit, but still suffer from it.
  • It only happens with VGA(DVI analog) output, not with Display Port or integrated screen. Does not matter if I use only CRT as single display or both screens (see *solution)
  • Tried several nVIDIA driver version with no luck
  • Tried all Retroarch releases from 1.2, same behaviour
  • Tried almost all Retroarch video, driver and sound configurations with same results. Enabling or disabling shader makes no difference.

SOLUTION:

Use SCREEN CLONING in nVidia control panel. I suspect that something weird happens with sync and VGA output, and when screens are cloned it works ok.

I leave it here for anyone that find it valuable. If you happen to know why this happens please let me know. Thanks.

1 Like

Ah, yes, this can definitely happen. Thanks for sharing your solution.