[SOLVED] Vulkan Full Screen broken with new nvidia drivers 387.92

New nvidia drivers came out that only gives a black screen when full screen. Sound still works and you can hear the game running fine but you only see a black screen.

“mplemented improvement in full-screen Vulkan applic ations for 32-bit Windows swapchains. This optimization will cause more events t hat trigger an out-of-date swapchain, such as when entering or leavin g full-screen mode (typica lly by pressing Alt+tab). Applications that do not properly re spond to the VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_DATE_KHR return code may not function properly when these events occur. See the WSI Swapchain section of the Vulkan specification”

I’m guessing that has something to do with it.

EDIT: This is now fixed as of the latest retroarch nightly. Just want to make sure if people find this thread they know it’s fixed now.

1 Like

It’s working here on win7 GTX770.
Got some bugs in xmb but I don’t think that’s new.

I edited in windows 10, curious to see if anyone else with Windows 10 is having the same issue.

Updated my driver today and the same black screen with sound thing happens on my machine. Also on Win10, with a 970.

I’m on 384.94 and RA crashes if I try and launch it with the Vulkan driver (Win 10, GTX1080).

Same problem here. RetroArch nightly running on the NVidia 387.92 drivers in Win 10 (ver. 1703 build 10563.674). Everything is the latest.

Oddly enough, it only blacks out on initial launch of any game but you can hit your Win key and the screen comes back. (edit: getting the screen back this way degrades performance.)

As a workaround, setting Retroarch to instead run in Windows Fullscreen fixed the issue for me.

Can confirm I have this same issue on my 1070 on Windows 10 and the 387.92 driver. If I use Windowed mode or alt-tab out and back in during borderless fullscreen I can get an image again. But I went ahead and rolled back to the previous driver until this is fixed.

Opened an Issue on this: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/5558

I have a similar issue.

Beginning with Nvidia drivers 387.92 I get a freeze if I try to use Vulkan full-screen, but only on my second monitor (my TV). Reverting to older drivers fixes it.

Everything works as usual on my primary monitor, including Vulkan in full-screen.

The last couple of lines in the log…

[INFO] [Vulkan]: VSync => on [INFO] [Vulkan]: QueuePresent failed, invalidating swapchain.

Hi, I can confirm that the issue still happen on driver version 388.00 released past sunday I’m now on driver version 385.69 hopefully either Nvidia or Libretro fix this issue soon, also it makes retroarch combined with RLauncher not loading games that use retroarch and are using Vulkan API.

1 Like

Can confirm still having this issue on latest driver 388.0

I’m getting a black screen in the Windows x64 version with Vulkan on 388.13.

I’m also getting a black screen when using Vulkan with the 388.13 drivers.

Crashes to me if I both windowed and exclusive full screen Rolled mine back to 385.69 on Windows 8.1 on GTX960M and Vulkan works for me through bordered window.

Since this also occurs on me trying to use fullscreen Dolphin I think it’s Nvidia-related issue.

1 Like

I have this issue on win 10, Gtx 1080ti driver version 388.13 couldnt be bothered to roll back so switched to gl for now which has fixed the issue. Strange thing was tho, this problem only happened on certain cores.

On my machine the black screen happens in either true or windowed fullscreen. Alt tabbing fixes it. On the plus side, in true fullscreen it no longer forces my 120hz display to 60hz when using swap interval 2. As long as I don’t touch the fast forward hotkey :P. But it still forces it in windowed fullscreen.

I’m having the exact same issue with AMD and Windows 10, I have an R9 390 and the latest AMD drivers don’t work with RetroArch in either Vulkan or Direct 3D. This only happens with my secondary display, not my primary. Could it be caused by the Windows 10 creators update that just came out?

I still have the issue on Window 10 with a GTX 1080 and 388.31 drivers. Rolling back to old drivers does fix the issue but costs me performance in other games.

I have found that alt+tabbing out of retro arch and back in fixes it, however.

In case anyone missed it, this has been fixed in the Nightly releases.

2 Likes