Some cores been broken for awhile, wonder if it's the updater?

I’m wonder what might cause this issue with some cores that haven’t been working for a couple months, and the one thing I’ve seen in common is the larger file sized ones (like over 1MB)

Like Genesis Plus, Mupen64, Desmume, the MAME cores and the PCSX Rearmed cores. I wonder if it’s an issue with the online updater in the app when the file is a certain size of over 1MB? I know the Genesis Plus core says it’s under that but I thought I saw one time it’s size was 1.8 or 1.9MB? I can’t remember now.

Anyway, I talked to some of the githubs but they say they don’t maintain the cores so I figured I’d mention it here.

I tried deleting the cores and their info files to reinstall fresh, no change in status.

A lot more cores are not working now, only a couple left actually work after updating them. Same issue, it just can’t load the core at all. Someone posted on the github about it a week ago https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2905 but no response to it.

I’ve tried downloading them to my computer and adding them to the iphone manually, but the cores still do not load that way either.

Think the solution may be, the cores updated within the past month an a half have not been for iOS9, it’s for the older operation system version. That’s why they won’t load in Retroarch iOS9. That probably needs to be swapped.

I tried compiling my own updated ios9 cores through libretro super, but with my limited knowledge of git bash I get “cannot make pipe process for this substitution” error so I’m unable to make a proper set of ios9 cores. But I found a thread in here from a year ago which has a core set that works even with 1.3.4, they set up a download for them here if anyone needs them: https://mega.nz/#!eEQ2FAYQ!MFMjYRkkgn7K-SrOcYwo_OGR78uBFWyg17VNG8D-WbM

I tested them, they all work, so from the looks of it it really is that the cores for ios9 on the download section right now created within the past month or so were for ios instead, thus will not work.

Either the command was done with ./libretro-build-ios.sh instead of ./libretro-build-ios9.sh, or the min version needs to be changed,

• CC=“cc -arch armv7 -marm -miphoneos-version-min=5.0 -isysroot $IOSSDK”
  • CXX=“c++ -arch armv7 -marm -miphoneos-version-min=5.0 -isysroot $IOSSDK”
  • CXX11=“clang++ -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -arch armv7 -marm -miphoneos-version-min=5.0 -isysroot $IOSSDK”

TO:

• CC=“cc -arch armv7 -marm -miphoneos-version-min=8.0 -isysroot $IOSSDK”
  • CXX=“c++ -arch armv7 -marm -miphoneos-version-min=8.0 -isysroot $IOSSDK”
  • CXX11=“clang++ -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -arch armv7 -marm -miphoneos-version-min=8.0 -isysroot $IOSSDK”

(Gotten from http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4002 )

Radius was looking into this earlier and he said the buildbot is still set up for ios9, so we’re not sure what’s up. Thanks for tracking down some older working cores!

Yeah, it was cool/helpful of you to look into it systematically and try to figure out what’s up. For any problem, that’s a necessary process that someone has to do, so it’s useful when users can do it instead of expending limited dev time on it.

Also I don’t know if it’s being fixed but the past couple of iOS9 builds since the new cores went up crash instantly when trying to open Retroarch, so been unable to test them out yet. (Sometimes the auto-build-thingy breaks itself so figured I should mention in case)

Figured out that crashing. It was the assets. After clearing them, I redownloaded them, but if you leave the updater menu before the assets finish installing, it’ll crash RA and keep it crashing. So just if anyone reading this, don’t rush installing Assets!

Testing cores now.

Any luck with your testing? Interested to hear.

All the cores work (except for desmume which has never worked on my phone so it might be its limitations) but there’s a trick on it right now on the ones to download.

Any core posted in the downloads after May 4th (usually 6th and onward) or before, like a few in February, work. Ones posted on the download section on 05-04 are inverted: the ios9 cores are for ios, and the ios cores are for ios9.

Changing the directory on the Online Updater to the ios from my ios9 for the cores posted on the 4th and downloading them works. Likewise downloading them manually and putting them on my phone in the proper director works.

Long story short: they all should work with the current update! You just might have to pick the correct core version.

EvEric since upgrading to is 8.1.2 jb with taig, on iPad Air 2, pcsx rearmed hasn’t been working: crash to desktop on open. Only the interpreter version works. anyone experiencing same? If working on iOS 9, which jb did you use? mednafen is fine but slow… Really would like to use rearmed again!