Some cores doesn't work, why and how to solve?

Hi all,

I’m using Retroarch under Ubuntu x64 and I like a lot this program.

I have a problem, it is, I’m unable to run some games, for example I can’t run any Neo Geo, Nintendo DS or ZT Spectrum (those games doesn’t work with any of the selectable cores).

I’ve notice that the cores that the cores “Arcade (FBA)” and “Arcade (Mame 2013)” doesn’t work with any game. I wonder if I could do something to update them or fix this problem in any way, perhaps I could run some games using them.

I downloaded the latest linux cores from here:

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/x86_64/latest/

And then I unzipped all and copy in /usr/lib/libretro, overwriting the default ones (I suppose are older), but I’ve notice no change at all.

So my question is, how can I make failing cores work and/or improve compatibility with games that at this moment doesn’t work?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

In most cases MAME and FBA cores fail because you have the incorrect romset for the particular version. Nintendo DS works fine in DESMUME, and NeoGeo works fine in MAME and FBA. Again you need the correct romset, MAME is very picky about the romsets you use.

I wonder why you downloaded the cores from there, if there are already packages for ubuntu. Any problem with the cores on the PPA?

The linux portable cores are good too, why shouldn’t he use those? I just wonder why he didn’t use the in-app downloader

Many thanks for your answers, radius and sergio-br2

I’ve just made a completely new install of retroarch as described here:

I’ve notice some differences (now seems to be a newer version), and it semms to include shaders by default! :D.

Nindendo DS games now works using "DeSmUME" but Neo Geo and ZX Spectrum games still doesn’t work, I’m not able to run them with any of the included cores.

Is there anything I can do to solve this? Update cores or something? Radius, you menction “the in-app downloader” but I don’t know what it is or how to use. Any help?

Many thanks again!

Make sure you have the correct neogeo.zip (FBA needs a weird one, MAME needs whichever one comes from its romset). I can’t remember whether it needs to go into the system directory or beside your neogeo roms, so it’s probably best to try both spots.

Many thanks for your help, hunterk

I don’t understand what you tell me in your message. I don’t know hot to check the neogeo.zip version I have :frowning:

FBA doesn’t work with any ROM, no matter the machine (I mean, doesn’t run games from any console).

If you can guide me a bit I’ll really thank you

Regards

@yusterlan.

Just Google fba roms its that simple.

correct (bios file) neogeo.zip will be there and place in rom folder.

[QUOTE=psp_revival;23314]@yusterlan.

Just Google fba roms its that simple.

correct (bios file) neogeo.zip will be there and place in rom folder.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for your interest, psp_revival,

I’ve download neogeo bios from here:

LINK REMOVED

Then I’ve copy to the roms folder, maintaining the compressed file and also unpacking it, but neogeo games don’t work with any core. I’ve also copy bios to retroarch\system folder and the result is the same.

Later I’ve download a bios pack for retroarch from here:

LINK REMOVED

And copy averything into system folder as is adviced in its TXT file, but nothing changes.

Any help?

Many thanks in advance

[QUOTE=yusterlan;23383]Many thanks for your interest, psp_revival,

I’ve download neogeo bios from here:

A certain paradise

Then I’ve copy to the roms folder, maintaining the compressed file and also unpacking it, but neogeo games don’t work with any core. I’ve also copy bios to retroarch\system folder and the result is the same.

Later I’ve download a bios pack for retroarch from here:

A certain gametechwiki

And copy averything into system folder as is adviced in its TXT file, but nothing changes.

Any help?

Many thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

First off, it’s not a good idea to link directly to rom sites/files. It usually only leads to trouble, please remove those links from your post.

The NeoGeo BIOS in your first link is horribly outdated, it should look like this. http://imgur.com/TH9MiKL

It shouldn’t be too hard to find this if you search the internet for the filename. Just avoid any websites that have “cool” in their name. :stuck_out_tongue:

neogeo.zip needs to be put in the same folder as the game is you want to play, NOT the system directory.

@yusterlan Don’t link to sites that host copyrighted content, please. EDIT: ninja’ed :slight_smile:

The neogeo.zip needs to match the ROMset required by the core. MAME and FBA are both very picky about which ROMs they will load. You need to find the actual ROMset that matches the core version and take the neogeo.zip from it, not just whatever’s floating around.

MAME 2003 = 078, MAME2010 = 139, regular mame-libretro = 160…? (the current one might be a little behind upstream, like a version or two)