Some emulators run smoother without RetroArch. Why is that?

I have pretty weak laptop I use RetroArch but I noticed that some emulators run much better without RetroArch. For example: -DeSmuME for Nintendo DS runs great on its own but in RetroArch when I run same game there is slowdown and crackling -with ePSXe I can play every game I tried in double resolution of PS1 with no problem and with Beetle PSX core in RetroArch I can barely play in native resolution with crackling and sometimes slowdown other PS1 cores don’t even work

Well, the PSX core in RetroArch is not the same as ePSEXe. It’s a more accurate and thus, more demanding core. Try some other core like pcsx_rearmed and see if it’s faster for you. If it’ not working maybe you are missing some bios files the particular emulator needs?

As for Desmume, i’m not sure but what i can tell you is that RetroArch generally has plenty of extra options standalones don’t have. These help in many things like reducing input lag for instance. GPU sync is one of these options and it’s also one of the more demanding ones. Check if it’s ON and if it is turn it OFF and test again.

Is that it? I thought it was some sort of bad programming. I’ll try some different settings. Thanks!