Some games not playing

Problems loading Red Earth and sfiiina (Street Fighter III NO CD bios 2) and Dino Crisis 1 (PAL)

OK, for the easy one, when I load Street Fighter III I get a “cannot find driver” for FBA, then RetroArch crashes. Does FBA need bios?

Then for Red Earth I did a bit of debugging. I know FBA doesn’t like CD based games, so I went to look for “redeartn” which is the NO CD clone of Red Earth. The funny thing is this rom isn’t found on your usual MAME romsets… so getting creative, I download vanilla FBA and create a clrmame pro dat file. Use romcenter (sorry clrmame is like a bad joke of a program) load fba dat file and check what “it wants/expects” for Red Earth, and to my suprise 4 roms/clones no one being the NO CD one. So what does this means? Why fba lists as compatible 4 CD based games? Yes, I also tested them all, for the CD based, after the title logo it says NO CD found. For redeartn, I get the same “cannot find driver” error.

To finish another game not working, Dino Crisis 1 for mednafen_psx, the PAL version, it gets stuck at the advisory stage before title logo.

For third strike, use sfiii3u. i had the same behavior as you with sfiii3an.

Don’t know for FBA as i don’t use it but : For sfiiina , you can use libretro-mame it works just fine with it. For Redearth , also with mame , i use the chd one ( with cap-wzd-3.chd and cap-wzd-5.chd ) .

now for psx , seems you iso is not patched to fix the protection , (it’s a know behavior for some pal game) i use Dino Crisis Pal french , patched , and it works great .

Thanks 7rtype! Great, patched and working. What is strange is that to judge by a protected PSX PAL list I find more games protected but that I can run without issues…

About CPS games, I can play 3rd Strike fine (sfiii3n), the problem is with “The New Generation” (sfiiin, or sfiiina seemeingly what fba wants). The point of using RetroArch (along FBA) is to play the games with little input lag. I just tested vanilla FBA and they load the games, even the CD based ones, so might this be a problem of RetroArch?

I had no problem loading sfiii3n.

yes, hunterk, but sfiii3n is a different game than sfiiin, no one is even a clone of each other.

Ah, yeah, so it is. Just tried sfiiin, though, and it loaded fine for me. I can post a checksum if you want to compare with your copy.

Yes please. Maybe test Red Earth too if you can. Thanks for the help.

MD5: fb0f335221a0051c1692ea6c915c9816 SHA1: e0c5df9fbb6c251665a63ea1d416823fc5ec840d

I can’t find it so far, maybe you can tell me the hash of this file? (__sfiiin)sfiii_asia_nocd.29f400.u2

edit: CRC=ca2b715f right? I made another FBA dat file based on the version RA uses (v0.2.97.30). That’s what I have and doesn’t work either.

What is strange, if I try to load sfiiin I get that the next file with CRC:73E32463 couldn’t be found. That CRC is for the sfiiina, so I wonder how you are able to load sfiiin.

Got a version working: CRC=0F31844C That one has CRC:73E32463 file inside it despite being sfiiin (not sfiiina as above)

it’s a rom for v0.2.97.28 of FBA, so go figure.

Still struggling with red earth.

BTW, could this bug be fixed for FBA core as well?

I forgot I opened that… yeah it’s fixable now, it would be better to make saves go thru the correct interface. I’ll ask Squarepusher about it

AndresSM: Ok, thanks for that, much appreciated, next stable version is gonna rock at this rate.

So to sum it up. I own a redearth.zip version FBA compliant, it’s for version v0.2.97.28, but tested and works just fine on vanilla v0.2.97.30 (same version used for fba core in retroarch). Weights 36.5Mb so it has all roms inside (despite the naming it’s not the NO CD version since everything is included), of course this is not a mame valid rom so naming has no linkings. Well, anyways, the rom is fine and works on vanilla FBA, why doesn’t on fba core? Might this be a bug? Since I got “sfiiin” working, and even if I get “redearth” working too let’s not ignore that the “cannot find driver” might be a bug. For reference the rom’s CRC is B81FB6FC, I tested many though.

A little bit of bump, mostly to say I also get a bunch of .mcr files being saved in the .\system folder for PSX games. Maybe that’s something that can be fixed with the above solution?

If anyone can check Red Earth for fba core I would be very grateful.

Yes must have some pb with redeath on libretro FBA ,

i have the same pb as you, no cd-rom drive at first start but if i do a reset ( H key for me) then i can after enter in game and play . my rom is redearth.zip (38.4 Mo) crc32 b81fb6fc.

mcr files are from the old mednafen-psx. A quite old version actually if those are in system not even 1.0.0.2. Mednafen and Beetle have been saving their memcards in save folder for months now. If save directory is not set it will save under system.

If you still want to use .mcr files for memory card 1, then set ‘Save Method’ to ‘mednafen’ instead of ‘libretro’.

mcr files are from the old mednafen-psx. A quite old version actually if those are in system not even 1.0.0.2. Mednafen and Beetle have been saving their memcards in save folder for months now. If save directory is not set it will save under system.[/quote]

I found the save method option, but only on the core config of the last build, so this must be a very recent change. beetle_psx_use_mednafen_memcard0_method = “libretro”

Maybe this fixes the issue, now files would be srm instead of mcr, right? I was using correct savepaths on my psx config, and my core builds are recent so I don’t think those were the issues AndresSM.

Oh wonderful, it worked. I love this game. I have the same rom so I’m gonna keep it this way and add a note to not forget to reset everytime I want to play this game, until they fix the issue.

Ok, no change even with the save method option, I tested and I get 2 save files, one in system being the mcr file and another inside srm folder being the srm file. Inside my save path, nothing.

savefile_directory = “…\SAVES\Sony PlayStation” savestate_directory = “…\SAVES\Sony PlayStation”

It works well with mednafen and with beetle here you issues are really weird noone else has reported this with simple parameters. Maybe the spaces in “Sony PlayStation” are the issue.

savefile_directory = “…\Data\Saves” savestate_directory = “…\Data\States”

Run it with --debug and paste the output in pastebin I added that to mednafen and it will output messages telling you if the path is not set.

RetroArch [WARN] :: [libretro WARN] :: Save directory is not defined. Fallback on using SYSTEM directory …