Some keys don't work while in Pause mode

(Edit: rephrased a bit)

I’m currently setting up a different configuration on my Steam Deck. One of the possibilities it gives me is to create a custom radial menu, which appears whenever I touch the touch pad on the left. This menu has some options to key presses, such as switching to slow motion mode or fast forward (sending keyboard events). My setup is, whenever the touchpad is touched and the menu is visible, in it sends the P key for Pause RetroArch. Then I can choose any option like fast forward toggle. When I “untouch”, meaning leaving my finger from the touchpad, then it sends P for unpause RetroArch.

So this works so good and I’m loving it. But the problem is, that some keys don’t work while RetroArch is in Pause mode. Fast forward toggle and slow motion toggle don’t get registered. It’s not a big deal, but it would be cool if it worked. Is there any way to make this work or is this some limitation within RetroArch itself?

Okay, so for the record, I think it works for me now. Found a way, can’t believe it. It’s a combination of starting with K key instead, so a frame will pass and therefore keys seem to be registered. Or it’s the added delay of 100ms I added to the next key presses while in Pause mode. All of this may sound gibberish to you, if you don’t used the Steam Input functionality, which is separate from RetroArch.

I could explain what I setup exactly, but not sure if anyone is interested anyway.^^

2 Likes