Sonic CD and games like them...how to configure sound?

Hello,

I have been using retroarch for a little over a week now and I love it! Literally plays everything that I throw at it. I do have a question, however. When it comes to Sega CD games, some games do not have sound (in this case Sonic CD). I was wondering, has anyone has gotten this working with retroarch? I’ve managed to get sound for Sonic CD using mp3s in gens, but I do not see a similar method for retro. Any help or solution would be appreciated.

Thanks to all that reply,

Mike

If you are using the Genesis Plus GX core, they have to be .wav or .ogg files. Mp3 files are not supported. Although I would recommend you use bin + cue rips and you will avoid having to convert any audio files whatsoever. Here is some info:

"When using ISO image files, WAV or OGG files should be provided as AUDIO track files. You can either load a CUE file pointing to a specific ISO file and containing all the needed information about AUDIO tracks files or directly load the ISO file. In the latter case, the emulator will first look for a .CUE file with the same base name, then if no CUE file is found, it will automatically look for .WAV or .OGG files respecting one of the following naming format (“XXX” being the .ISO filename, NN being the track number and “yyy” being either .wav or .ogg extension): “XXXNN.yyy”, “XXX NN.yyy”, “XXX-NN.yyy”, “XXX - NN.yyy” or “XXX_NN.yyy”. Please note that other compressed audio files (such as .mp3, .mpc, .wma, etc) are NOT supported and audio tracks should be using 16-bit stereo 44100Hz format.

When using BIN images files, audio tracks are generally stored within the image file. A CUE file is therefore required with all the needed information about audio tracks location. You can either load the CUE file pointing to the specific BIN file or directly load the .BIN file. In the latter case, the emulator will automatically look for a CUE file with the same base name as the BIN file."

[QUOTE=Charco;49144]If you are using the Genesis Plus GX core, they have to be .wav or .ogg files. Mp3 files are not supported. Although I would recommend you use bin + cue rips and you will avoid having to convert any audio files whatsoever. Here is some info:

"When using ISO image files, WAV or OGG files should be provided as AUDIO track files. You can either load a CUE file pointing to a specific ISO file and containing all the needed information about AUDIO tracks files or directly load the ISO file. In the latter case, the emulator will first look for a .CUE file with the same base name, then if no CUE file is found, it will automatically look for .WAV or .OGG files respecting one of the following naming format (“XXX” being the .ISO filename, NN being the track number and “yyy” being either .wav or .ogg extension): “XXXNN.yyy”, “XXX NN.yyy”, “XXX-NN.yyy”, “XXX - NN.yyy” or “XXX_NN.yyy”. Please note that other compressed audio files (such as .mp3, .mpc, .wma, etc) are NOT supported and audio tracks should be using 16-bit stereo 44100Hz format.

When using BIN images files, audio tracks are generally stored within the image file. A CUE file is therefore required with all the needed information about audio tracks location. You can either load the CUE file pointing to the specific BIN file or directly load the .BIN file. In the latter case, the emulator will automatically look for a CUE file with the same base name as the BIN file."[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response. Going forward I will try to use bin/cue for my games. Got to start from square one… :frowning: At any rate, I appreciate the info.

Mike

No problem, glad I could help!

[QUOTE=bigmike2238;49179]Thank you for the response. Going forward I will try to use bin/cue for my games. Got to start from square one… :frowning: At any rate, I appreciate the info.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI, in case you weren’t aware of it, and because I know it’s a pain downloading CD Games and finding it’s, once again, an mp3 list…

You can convert your existing copies using a combination of Daemon Tools and IMGBurn and it only takes a minute or two.

I did this with a lot of my games, but for Sonic CD in particular I’m going through and picking from the JP & US soundtracks so the game loads my favorite version of each track, then burning that as it’s own disc.