.srm becomes unreadable

If I play a game for longer than about an hour, the .srm file becomes unreadable somehow. I’ve had this happen several times with Super Metroid where I’ll get about an hour into the game and then - poof - my save data disappears. The saves work fine for a little while, and then disappear. I’ve probably lost about 5 hours of gameplay this way :frowning:

I started relying on save states in addition to in-game saves, since they continue to work fine. What’s weird is that I can load a save state from a point after the .srm becomes unreadable, save the game using in-game saves, reset the game, and the .srm file is still unreadable. It’s like it gets permanently corrupted.

I’ve tried a different rom and reinstalling RA, same result.

Any idea what could be causing this? It seems like something that popped up recently; didn’t have this problem with previous versions.

can you upload one that works and one that doesnt?

Apparently Dropbox automatically overwrites a file if you upload a file with the same filename. So I lost the non-working save when I uploaded the working one. I’ll have to get back to you later tonight, or possibly tomorrow on this. It shouldn’t take too long- it seems like I’ve been consistently losing the save data after playing for about an hour.

k, no hurry

I wonder if this has something to do with the issue im having. I can create a .SRM file within RetroArch, say using Mupen64PLUS core. If I try to convert a .SRA file from Project64 to a .SRM to load into RetroArch, the save file wont load.