SSF Sega Saturn Emulator Support?

Hey. Can I ask if there’s a reason why Yabause is used for Saturn emulation and not SSF? I find out of both emus SSF is by far the faster and more compatible of the two. It just has a crumby interface that could really benefit from some RA loving. :slight_smile:

Yep, that’s simple alright! Pity though.

This kind of things is why open source emulators are so important, and why non-open ones are negligible and die.

^ Yeah, I’m kinda with you there. It is a real pity because the emulation in SSF is actually really good but I do have a feeling that ultimately it’ll get left behind and eventually die (a bit like Kega Fusion - It was once the be all, end all of Mega Drive emulation. Now it’s still usable but getting more out of date by the month compared to things like Genesis Plus). Still, developers prerogative I suppose…

[QUOTE=Hot Violet;35173]^ Yeah, I’m kinda with you there. It is a real pity because the emulation in SSF is actually really good but I do have a feeling that ultimately it’ll get left behind and eventually die (a bit like Kega Fusion - It was once the be all, end all of Mega Drive emulation. Now it’s still usable but getting more out of date by the month compared to things like Genesis Plus). Still, developers prerogative I suppose…[/QUOTE]

by the month? Genesis Plus GX surpassed Kega Fusion in compatibility and accuracy eons ago.

The work on the Yabause core has already improved that emulator quite a bit, I can see it surpassing SSF in the future.

uoYabause on Android would make a pretty sweet core to add, but it’s been mentioned it will take a while. The recent updates to makes more games work and a lot of graphical fixes.

The future needs to get here already lol.

As for Sega Saturn emulation I’m not quite ready to take the leap switching to the Yabause core just yet. Akumajou Dracula X and Magical School Lunar isn’t as good in Yabause as on SSF and still got a long way to go.

Indeed the future needs to get here already because I have switched most of my systems to RetroArch cores.

[QUOTE=SigmaVirus;35711]As for Sega Saturn emulation I’m not quite ready to take the leap switching to the Yabause core just yet. Akumajou Dracula X and Magical School Lunar isn’t as good in Yabause as on SSF and still got a long way to go.

Indeed the future needs to get here already because I have switched most of my systems to RetroArch cores.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget Sonic R (The closest thing to a real Sonic game for the system) the graphics are broken to the point the game is unplayable. I didn’t know Castlevania - Symphony of the Night didn’t work on Yabuse either…

What I don’t understand is how SSF is so great, yet Yabuse is so behind. Isn’t it older than SSF? The whole Saturn emulator scene is so bizarre, you’d think a console with as big of a cult following as the Saturn would have more people trying to work on it.

Then again… we still don’t have an actually functional XBOX emulator yet either. Which is just a crime against humanity IMO.

My best guess is that it’s because the Saturn only has a cult following is why the Saturn emulator development is so lacking. There just isn’t the huge following like Sony and Nintendo has and therefore it doesn’t have the “right” person to come along and do the work necessary. After all that is what really drives emulation development, the right person with the right skill set and the desire to do it. Also consider the fact that the Saturn was a total mess under the hood that even making a game for it back in the day was a nightmare for devs. I would imagine trying to wrap your head around emulating it would be a pretty good challenge. With some luck now that pretty much every other system out there now has near perfect emulation some of the current emu developers out there will turn their attention to the Saturn. I know I would love to see the Saturn get an emulator on par with ePSXe or Dolphin. Yabause is at least being developed and we can see some big strides in its development in the future, SSF development is all but dead from what I can tell looking from the outside.

You are looking at it wrong. It’s not because of popularity, or age, or that noone is interested. It’s because the Saturn, for it’s time, was a complex machine with impressive specs. It didn’t use triangles for polygons, it used quadrilaterals, adding to it’s complexity. I don’t know how much technical info is out there, but I’m guessing that the state of Saturn emulation is mostly because of it’s complexity.

[QUOTE=SkyHighGam3r;35728]Don’t forget Sonic R (The closest thing to a real Sonic game for the system) the graphics are broken to the point the game is unplayable. I didn’t know Castlevania - Symphony of the Night didn’t work on Yabuse either…

What I don’t understand is how SSF is so great, yet Yabuse is so behind. Isn’t it older than SSF? The whole Saturn emulator scene is so bizarre, you’d think a console with as big of a cult following as the Saturn would have more people trying to work on it.

Then again… we still don’t have an actually functional XBOX emulator yet either. Which is just a crime against humanity IMO.[/QUOTE]

Dracula X do work with the Yabause core but got graphical glitches and Yabause lacks the Mesh Translucent option I love in SSF which makes the transparency look great (water, enemies, dialog boxes etc.)

I only own Dracula X and Magical School Lunar because Dracula X on the Saturn has extras that isn’t present on the PSX version of Symphony of the Night and Magical School Lunar is a game from the Lunar series (I play Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue on PSX a lot)

Both games only got Japan releases and Sega Saturn wasn’t really my cup of tea anyway.

The game runs fairly well on the uoYabause on Android. The sources are open so the core could be ported Retroarch.

@SigmaVirus Are the Japanese SoTN releases for Saturn and Playstation the same or no ? I know the North American Playstation release had some changes but I think the Japanese release was the same as the Saturn, I could be very wrong though. If it is the same there is an English translated version floating around out there. I found my copy over on the emuparadise forums. Edit: I guess there are some differences in the 2 Japanese versions.

Wait english version of the sega saturn copy!?!?!?

He means the fan translation of the Japanese PSX version: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1427/

I’ve never felt the Saturn version was worth bothering with. From what I’ve read it has performance issues and the extras (playable Maria, extra castle area) aren’t very good.

Yeah sorry, I meant English translation of the Japanese version of SotN. After doing some more reading up on it the Japanese release does have some differences compared to the North American release but the Saturn version still has some extra stuff in it. And like Awakened said everything I have read and can tell the Saturn has too many drawbacks like no transparencies, slowdown and stretched graphics. Apparently even Igarashi doesn’t like the Saturn port because of how bad it is. It’s too bad too because the Saturn could have easily handled that game and probably even done a better job being the 2D powerhouse it was.

Apparently there is more blood and gore.

I abhor censorship, so I am swearing off the US version from here onward.