Status of 15khz Support

Hi guys

I´ve read what hunterk posted about 15khz and Retroarch. I´ve been playing around with my Rgb 15khz setup lately and i´d like to switch to retroarch on it.

The problem is that i´m running windows xp 32 and it won´t boot retroarch for whatever reason.

I´d like to know if it´s possible with the latest beta buids to run retroarch on a 15khz display and switch to the original resultions, provided they are supported by the system. On Windows. I could just upgrade to win7 if that´s the case. Otherwise, i´d like to know if that feature is being worked and will be present anytime soon.

Thanks

RetroArch will sync to whatever your fullscreen resolution and refresh rate are, so if you can make Windows do a certain res/refresh and then launch RA in fullscreen from there, it should snap to what you need. What it won’t do is automatically set those things based on the game you’re wanting to play (this is where GroovyMAME excels).

I currently use RA on my arcade cabinet with a 15khz CGA monitor and it works great for 240p/60hz games.

Ok, so you mean that I could perfectly set my resolution to 320x240, just to say one of the most common modelines, and then have retroarch launch fullscreen using that resolution, but I couldn´t switch to whatever resolution would be required for different games? Is this being worked for future releases? Could be an excellent feature

Also, I cannot stop wondering what a retroarch linux distribution with KMS mode and 15khz support could mean for all of us Crt monitor users.

Is retroarch supposed to work on winxp-32?

Try the nightlies at buildbot.libretro.com. I think they work with winxp-32.

As I mentioned, I use it for my cab, and I have it boot straight into KMS using a custom EDID for 1920x240/60. This gets the vast majority of horizontal games, with the exception of things with weird refresh rates like R-Type and Mortal Kombat. CPS1/2/3, NeoGeo, NES/SNES/Genesis, most PSX games, etc. all work great. It’s pretty awesome :slight_smile:

There was a request for adding the ability to change to other modelines (as long as they already exist on the machine) but nobody with the ability/knowledge to do it has the hardware to test, unfortunately. For console games, that single ultrawide modeline should do the trick, but arcade games have more variability, and for that, you’re probably better off using GroovyMAME, at least right now.