SteelSeries Stratus XL and RetroArch issues

New to the forum, hope this is the right place for the question. I have RetroArch setup on my FireTV and I am using a SteelSeries Stratus XL controller. The controller works great, and all the buttons immediately self configured upon connecting it the first time. The problem is that for some reason RetroArch won’t recognize R2 and L2 (lower shoulder buttons). This happens in the SNES, PSP, and PS1 emulators. Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone know how to get them sorted? Not having those buttons makes playing a number of games quite challenging, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Go into RetroArch settings and select input modes and then map the buttons by holding them down. (Settings> input>port 1 controls>scroll to button) The steelseries stratusXL is notorious for trigger issues. If you are out of warranty there are guides to take the controller apart and I recommend the gentle pinch technique (you’ll see what I mean by looking up posts in Reddit) AND using WD40 or bicycle chain lube. The latter works better and I haven’t yet had to reopen the controller since the WD I’ve had to apply a few times. If you have trigger issues you will know right away.