Strange things

After I’ve tried RetroArch for Windows I wanted to now how good the Linux version works. During the testing I encountered 3 problems:

1. I can’t download cores within RetroArch. When I try to access the core selection it seems the whole UI is screwed up. The list with the core don’t show up and instead it’s still list the “update core files”, “update assets” ect. When I try to going back in the menu it looks like I have two menus, one is freezed completely and the other somehow works (I can select different options) but the options are fixed to the previous ones. I attached a picture of this problem to make it more clear what I mean. Only a restart of RetroArch helps to get rid of the problem. On my Desktop (on which I also tested the Linux Version) I use Windows 7 and didn’t have the problem. Did I missed a package I had to install or what could be the source of trouble?

Interesting is that I also encountered this behavior when I tested RetroArch on my Laptop with Windows 8.1. It is the same bug as the Linux Version on my Desktop system: the UI is screwed and only a restart of RetroArch works.

1. Since I couldn’t download any core files I downloaded them via Synaptic. I download the Genesis Core and the PSX Core (Mednafen). The Genesis Core installed without any flaws, while the Mednafen Core has given me an error that says (I translated it from german to english):

Error: alternative-path /usr/lib/libretro/beetle_psx_libretro.so doesn’t exist. dpkg: error while processing the package libretro-mednafen-psx (–configure) Sub-process installed post-installation-script returned an error code 2 error while processing of: libretro-mednafen-psx E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What could be the source of this problem? I was using the stable ppa from Libretro. Even with this error the PSX core installed correctly and worked. Anyway I also tested the ubuntu-xboxdrv and I encountered problems because of the PSX Core. To go back to the default xpad driver I had to remove the ubuntu-xboxdrv and to make that possible I had to uninstall the PSX core. There is something messed up in the package management.

1. After setting up the most options. I played an PSX game to test the xbox360 controller (wired and I used the default xpad driver provided by Linux Mint/Ubuntu). I already downloaded the auto-config file, so it wasn’t a problem to get this to work. Oddly the controller vibration (rumble) works only for a couple of seconds (maybe up to a minute) and than it stops working. I tried different joypad driver (like linuxraw) but it didn’t help. Also I tried to turn DualShock back to PS1Joypad while playing… same results. Only when I restart RetroArch and the game it is working again for a couple of time. With the ubuntu-xboxdrv rumble didn’t work and the buttons were not assigned correctly (but maybe because of the psx problem). What can I do to get the rumble function to work correctly?

I’m using Linux Mint 17.2 64-Bit with the Cinnamon Desktop.

1. The updater problem is because our core uploader’s webserver has been down. It should resolve once it’s back up.

2. yeah, that’s just a packaging issue

3. dunno.

1. Sorry for the inconvenience, that error should be fixed now.

about 1.) It’s seems that the menu bug is fixed due to the server being back online. Here comes another question: Is it normal that I’m not able to download a core with the core downloader in RetroArch on Linux (Mint)? I tried different cores and while I seems to download the package it doesn’t finish the download. The cores are not added to RetroArch. Only with synaptic where I have access to the PPA I’m able to download a core. Or is it just that the server is not “quite back”?

about 2.) Yeah, that seems to be fixed. I didn’t encountered a problem after downloading the Mednafen PSX Core via the PPA. Thanks!

about 3.) I tried another Kernel (3.19 instead of 3.16) and the problem still exist: The rumble works for maybe about a minute, than it turns off till I shut down RetroArch. Sometimes it happens that the rumble works again in the game after the first “shutdown”… till it turns off again. Strange, does anybody have a clue about what can fix this behavior?

[QUOTE=Ulpulz;27529]about 1.) It’s seems that the menu bug is fixed due to the server being back online. Here comes another question: Is it normal that I’m not able to download a core with the core downloader in RetroArch on Linux (Mint)? I tried different cores and while I seems to download the package it doesn’t finish the download. The cores are not added to RetroArch. Only with synaptic where I have access to the PPA I’m able to download a core. Or is it just that the server is not “quite back”?

about 2.) Yeah, that seems to be fixed. I didn’t encountered a problem after downloading the Mednafen PSX Core via the PPA. Thanks!

about 3.) I tried another Kernel (3.19 instead of 3.16) and the problem still exist: The rumble works for maybe about a minute, than it turns off till I shut down RetroArch. Sometimes it happens that the rumble works again in the game after the first “shutdown”… till it turns off again. Strange, does anybody have a clue about what can fix this behavior?[/QUOTE]

The first issue about downloading cores with retroarch is because root permissions… of you notice there the cores are being stores you will see it is a system folder so retroarch cannot write on it. My solution was simply to change the cores folder to for example the retroach config folder created for each user within a folder named cores… that way you will be able to download all the cores you want… same thing with all other stuff so I will recommed set the folders in a writeable place.

I also had the issue with mednafen psx, dont know how to fix it, so instead of using mednafen psx Iḿ using pcsxrearmed and it works great!

Of course, you are right. I did forget that while using the Linux version.

I also had the issue with mednafen psx, dont know how to fix it, so instead of using mednafen psx Iḿ using pcsxrearmed and it works great!

Maybe you should try it again with the mednafen core. I don’t have this package problem anymore.

I had the opportunity to test retroarch stable with Debian 8 Jessie and Linux Mint 17.2 Mate 64-Bit. With Debian 8 Jessie (I installed that via PPA even though I know this isn’t quite the correct way) the controller rumble function worked correctly for the my complete test time. To my surprise the MATE Edition of Linux Mint 17.2 64-Bit worked without any flaws too, the problem has something to do with the Cinnamon edition of LM.

The vibration only lasting about a minute is still an issue. I’m running Linux Mint and Retroarch 1.3.6. Switching out to windowed or full screen brings the vibration back but it goes away after another minute or so. Has anyone found a solution to this?