Struggling after Computer Crash

Okay, so I’m having a bit of trouble. If this needs to be moved, please do so and forgive my ignorance.

System 64 bit Windows 8

Situation I was running the Mupen64 Core on Windows 8.1, but then my computer crashed hard. Managed to save my files (and my roms) but needed to reinstall programs. I have run into two roadblocks on two potential paths back to full romplaying ability.

1. I install the 64 bit retroarch of the latest version, then the Mupen64 Core. When trying to play a ROM, there is no picture (black screen) and the sound is slowed dramatically. I have tried disabling shaders. I am fully up to date on this version of windows.

2. I install the 64 bit retroarch meant for windows xp, then the Parallel 64 Core. Retroarch will not map the a, b, x, or y buttons on my xbox one controller, though I can move up and down on menus by using the control pad. I cannot use a and b to navigate the menus, even though these buttons are mapped both for gameplay and for menu navigation. The start, back, L, R, L2, R2, sticks, and dpad work perfectly.

If you need logs to solve this, please tell me how to get them- I am rather new to emulation, and I appreciate your time greatly.

Thanks much, TimeItself