Struggling with Input button mapping

Hi

I’m would like to use retroarch for different systems (SNES, NES Mega Drive,…). Therefore i have different cfg files in …\RetroArch\config. For example “snes9x_libretro.cfg” , “gambatte_libretro.cfg”,… I started an snes Game over Launchbox with the corresponding “snes9x_libretro.cfg”, did all the Input mapping and saved it with “Save Current Configuration”. So far so good. If i don’t restart my PC everything is fine and all different systems keep their corresponding button mappings. If i restart my PC everything is messed up. Buttons don’t react in the correct way and i can’t even map them anymore. The input mapping page doesn’t respond to my button presses.
I use an arcade stick with a PS360+ board. Sometimes i see:

User 1 Device Index: XInputController (User 1)

and sometimes User 1 Device Index: PS360+ 1.66

Does someone have an idea what i’m doing wrong? Like this it’s unusable unfortunately.

When it shows the XInputController, that means that it’s being treated as an Xbox 360 pad/board and when it shows the PS360+, that means it’s being treated as a HID device. That’s why it acts differently: it’s using an entirely different driver.

When you plug in your controller, hold middle kick (retropad A) and it will force XInput mode.

i Thanks for the information. I need to do some more research, but in my opinion the PS360+ detecting doesn’t work correct. I gave up on this one. If I unplug/plug (without holding any button) the USB or restart the PC it should always be recognized as a PC controller. But as I said it’s not always recognized the same way. In other Games the PS360+ works flawless, even after PC restart or unplug/plug it in. So for now I use a XBOX 1 controller which works prefect. Let’s see how it works with a J-Pac which is my next candidate on the arcade cabinet.

If that’s the only controller you’re going to use, you could disable autoconfig entirely and just hard-map the controls in settings > input.

I have both a PS360 and a J-PAC. The J-PAC works fine, but it detects as a keyboard, so you have to edit your retroarch.cfg to remove the conflicts between the MAME defaults that the J-PAC uses and RetroArch’s default hotkey assignments. Once that’s done, everything should be fine, though I went ahead and mapped stuff manually in the config instead of using the binding menu.

One handy thing to remember with the I/J-PACs is that they have some hardcoded shortcuts that you can leverage, like holding P1-down and pressing P1-start sends the ‘p’ key event. So, I mapped my menu toggle to that.

Yes the PS360 would be the only “pad” I’m using with Retroarch on my normal PC. I’ll have a look how to configure that without autoconfig. Otherwise the Xbox 1 pad is pretty nice aswell.

The J-Pac just has to work with Retroarch and the console cores (NES, SNES,…). I use Groovymame which is running directly out of Lauchbox (Bigbox) .

Anyone else have a issue with holding down buttons on the controller or keyboard and it acts like an autofire when autofire isnt on ? I would make a topic but dont have the level to