Suggestions for KMS RetroArch with XMB on RPi 3

Has anyone had any luck running the RetroArch XMB menu with KMS on RPi 3? I’m running some server processes on ArchLinux Arm and wanted to avoid installing Lakka. I was able to compile Mesa for VC4 and compile RetroArch with --enable-kms. However, when I start RetroArch the screen flashes briefly and I get the following log:

[INFO] [Menu]: Found menu display driver: "menu_display_null".

I think it’s because there is no DRM menu driver…? If I change the config to use video_driver = "gl", I get:

* failed to add service - already in use?

Anyone get further than this, or know if it’s impossible?

1 Like

Lakka for RPi uses KMS, IIRC, so it seems the issue is probably with Mesa’s VC4 driver being incomplete.

To launch via KMS, you need to set the video_driver to “gl” and then start from a console with no X server running. You could also run retroarch --features to make sure it says KMS support is compiled in (I know you said you compiled it in, but just to make sure it succeeded).

Thanks for the guidance. Still no luck, unfortunately. Currently I think the problem is that I compiled RetroArch with VideoCore enabled, which uses the /opt/vc driver when I really want to use the custom Mesa driver that was compiled.

I took a look at the Lakka RPi img and it didn’t look like they had vc4-kms-v3d enabled in their /boot/config.txt, but I guess it could be set during some kind of initialization. I’ll see if I can find a spare micro SD card to take a look at the final Lakka file system.

Actually, I just recompiled RetroArch with --disable-videocore and things started working! Thanks again.