Super duper slow RetroArch :/

Sometimes (like right now) after i have remote desktop’ed into the PC i run RetroArch on… when i start up RetroArch (on that PC not remote desktop) it is insanely slow. The games, the GUI, everything like runs at like sub 1FPS. Can’t do anything. The way i fixed it last time was to just delete the entire dir and start over :/. Anything else i can try this time? lol

Deleted the entire directory and with a completely new/fresh setup i get this https://youtu.be/pD8_INEf0Gc … Whole thing locks up every few seconds. A variation of this happened last time but i rebooted and it was gone. Not this time :frowning:

EDIT: One more reboot seems to have fixed it. If anyone has an idea what is going on when this happens please let me know hehe

I have this exact same problem. I also did a new setup of latest version and it acts exactly like your youtube video. Rebooting makes no difference. Retroarch is unusable for me.

Running on a mac mini 2012 quad core + 1tb samsung ssd

Try turning off the shader pipeline in settings > user interface > menu or, if it’s too slow to navigate, try changing your menu_driver from “xmb” to “rgui” in your retroarch.cfg.

Now updated to latest windows updates = still have problem. Note I have tried the other menus and with d3d video but issue persists. However…

I had a slightly older version on my laptop (macbook dual-booted into windows) that works fine, so I copied that one over to my macmini (also running windows) and it works fine there too. I zipped it up very fast for preservation!

So the one that doesn’t work on macmini is a totally clean install of latest version today with def settings, which seems strange, I will do a folder compare and try to work out which file or setting is triggering this issue + try your suggestion.

.Update: OK I copied over the retroarch.cfg from working to non-working = still broken .I copied over all the cores from working to non-working = still broken .I copied over the retroarch.exe (v1.6.3) from working over (v1.6.7) and then… it works fine. .So I reverted files back so non-working has latest version again with problem (just like the guy above’s youtube video with 4 seconds ok then a 4 second freeze repeating ) .I eventually found the setting you ref’d at UserInterface->Appearance->Menu Shader Pipeline and set it off, re-started RA but it still freezes.

So at this stage I can only conclude that something in the latest version has broken it for me on MacMini_2012, that un-working version does however work OK on a macbook pro 2016 (newer hardware?). No amount of settings changing could resurrect v1.6.7 on macmini.

OK SO finally, I got yesterdays nightly build 2017-10-04_RetroArch .7z and copied over the retroarch.exe and this works fine! I compared debug outputs and they are identical so no clues there. So I can only conclude that 1.6.7 broke something on my macmini that has since been fixed. So for now I’ll run with the nightly one and hope it doesn’t have other issues or revert to 1.6.3.

Update2: Most roms I tried to run under different RA cores(ones I know work on native emu eg Dolphin) just seemed to crash or hang. Is this normal?

1 Like

I have the same issue, on my asus laptop (w10 - i5 - HD Graphics 4000). Not solved by switching from xmb to rgui. Does anyone have a clue ? A conflict with some w10 internal process maybe ? Really annoying bug… a patch would be welcome.

Does the behavior persist with other video drivers? e.g., vulkan and/or d3d?

As an owner with a Lenevo T430 which also has an Intel HD 4000, I can attest that this also happened to me when Windows 10 was updated. I believe it’s because there’s an issue with Intel’s driver only being WDDM 1.3. Before the update OpenGL performance was fine, but now it’s abysmal(5FPS). If I change it to D3D, everything works fine just as long as I switch to RGUI instead of XMB, which simply doesn’t work as of today.

The best solution I found around this Intel driver issue is using the latest LAKKA. Now I have full performance again. I recommend OP try LAKKA as the Intel performance significantly improves. You lose the SLANG, but still have access to GLSL.

Just install this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26813/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499

As someone who has an hd 4000 retroarch runs fine for me. Even on win 10 fall creators update

1 Like

I have that driver and it worked for a little bit, but that stopped and hasn’t worked in the past 2 weeks,

I suspect something with W10 update process because the bug appears only when I switch on the laptop after a few day break, and it usually vanishs 2 or 3 days later. Now it’s working again, but as soon as the bug comes back, i’ll try those solutions.

About LAKKA, what is it exactly ? Some OS dedicated to retrogaming (replacing W10) ?

I updated the HD4000 driver : the bug is back again…

About other drivers : it doesn’t work at all (black screen) with vulkan + xmb

As Bahn_Yuki said, the only working setting seems to be RGUI + D3D. Sad :cry:

I finally solved my problem (to be confirmed in the next few days). I installed an old (W8.1) graphic driver, thanks to the informations found in these thread :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/intel-hd-graphics-4000-driver-has-slow-performance/0bd9852c-3bbb-4d32-817d-0079b344d113

Thx

Darn. Well the driver works for me but if the win 8.1 driver doesn’t work you can try the solution posted in this thread: Windows 10 crash when running retoarch

Yeah it’s an os based on Librelec that runs retroarch. I’ve been using it and it makes the HD 4000 run very nicely without all the bloatware in windows. Honestly if you are using an Intel gpu is well worth checking out, as you’ll get better performance than retroarch Win10.