Systems and games not showing up in RetroArch for Kodi (MAME, NES, PlayStation, etc.)

So I tried running the latest version of RetroArch (1.3.6) on my ASUS ChromeBox under Kodi (OpenElec) and it’s not showing a lot of systems or games (roms, image files). Some systems are fine (Sega, SNES, etc.) but MAME, NES, PlayStation, etc aren’t showing up at all. Is it an issue with the file names, placement of roms, etc? I just don’t get it. The box art/thumbnail art is also not showing at all. I can load them in manually but it is rather tedious to have to browse for them all and the systems that are showing up I don’t really want listed or bother playing. Aside from deleting these, is there also a way to enable/disable systems from popping up in the XMB-style menu?

If you’re talking about the scanning, we only support no-intro and redump sets for that. For NES, you need the latest headered no-intro set. We don’t support MAME scanning (yet?)

If you fetch the thumbnails/boxart from the online updater, it should show up on anything that’s scanned successfully, assuming you have the option enabled in settings > menu.

No, you have to just delete the lpl playlist files for playlists you don’t want to see anymore.

Thanks! I got the box/thumbnails working I guess I just didn’t have the patience for some of them to download at first.

I believe it’s also because the NES roms are compressed with 7z. I’ll try extracting them and re-scanning them. Shame that MAME scanning isn’t supported yet but at least I can still load them manually. I’m hoping to get a more streamlined and clean UI like EmulationStation but RetroArch has certainly made quite a few improvements in the UI as well as the features. Either way, thanks!

Yeah, scanning 7zipped files only works in the latest nightlies. It was just added like 3 days ago.

Thanks for the info. I’ll look into it. Every time I would try to run a NES ROM my screen would go black and my device would lock up (uncompressed NES file or 7z file) so maybe I should just use another ROM set that’s zipped? It’s weird because they worked just fine on an older version of RetroArch. I’ve tried all 4 emulators within 1.3.6 and none of them would work. I should also mention that I got the file from someone on the openelec.tv forums as I run it under OpenELEC under Kodi on my ASUS Chromebox. The file is labelled as ‘Retroarch 1.3.6 No Core x86_64’ . So I’m unsure version of the nightly I can install over top of this (if any) as it’s running a form of Linux or do I just need each individual file for each emulator? Thanks.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I tried copying the .so file for Nestopia from the latest linux 86_64 nightly build and it didn’t solve the scanning problem for NES files but I did try downloading the latest core from the updater, set Nestopia as my default app and it will now play those extracted NES files from the 7z. The issue may be that there are multiple roms (various versions/rom hacks/etc) inside of those 7z files. I may just go back to using an older, less complete ROM set for the NES ROMS. I’m looking forward to MAME support as I hate guessing what each game is based on an 8 character filename.