Tell Me about Shader Caching

Hi,

Lots of higher powered emulators like Cemu and RPCS3 use shader caching and I experience it quite a lot. I have a fairly low powered machine for running these emulators (NUC 8 i5) so that is to be expected but even higher end machines seem to be affected by it.

I am wondering which component(s) (CPU, GPU etc) have the most benefit for shader cache speed and specifically what aspect of that component (more cores, faster RAM etc)?

1 Like

I’ve used Cemu to play MK8, New SMB U and DKC Tropical Freeze and I have to say Yuzu run all these with much more fluidity, the caching is almost non-existent and basically each game is in a single file. Have you tried Switch emulation, Yuzu/Riujinx and see how your PC handle it? Basically everything I throw at it is handled smoothly, in 4k60 (except where the emulation requires improvements, depending on the game). I’m on an old i7-2600,10gbdd3, gtx1660ti. As for RPSC3, my CPU lacks some features that this emulator benefits from, though the heaviest game I’ve tried so far is VF5, I’d think AAA games like The Last of US, Uncharted 2 and others would require a modern PC to run smoothly, though the emulator will receive a lot of optimizations as time goes by. You should really try Switch emulation first and see if your PC handles it better than CEMU like mine did. No more shader stutters since, it may still happen, but it’s almost unnoticeable compared to Cemu.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ve tried Yuzu and some games work well, some less so, much like Cemu. I am keen to find out Shader Cache’s work rather than avoiding them.

2 Likes