Text Issue with Famicom Tantei Club II

Was trying out Famicom Tantei Club II with the Demiforce/Tomato hack applied and for whatever reason I noticed that the first few letters in the very first line of the game get cut off sometimes. I reset a couple of times and sometimes nothing was cut off and sometimes two letters were and sometimes one. I didn’t notice this anywhere else when I was running through the beginning of the game. And I would’ve thought it was an issue with the game or translation patch themselves but I also tried it in bsnes (outside of RetroArch) and it didn’t seem to happen at all there.

Using RetroArch 1.7.6 and noticed the problem happening with any SNES / Super Famicom core I tried. This is an extremely minor issue of course (unless there’s more text elsewhere that has this problem that I haven’t seen), but does anyone have any insight?

Can you share a video or screenshot?

Sure.

0_Demiforce%2C%20Tomato%5D-190207-182322

This screencap is taken from RetroArch with the higan core, but again: I saw this behavior in the bsnes, bsnes-mercury, and snes9x cores as well.

0_Demiforce%2C%20Tomato%5D-20190207-181959

And this one is taken from bsnes standalone.

The screencaps look a little different in general I’m guessing just due to different video settings, but I wouldn’t think that would cause any text to just disappear.

Hmm, I’m not having this issue. Here’s what I get from snes9x_libretro:

Oh, you’re right, my mistake. I was trying so many cores I might have gotten mixed up. I just tried again with the higan core and I definitely am getting it there.

bsnes-mercury-accuracy and higan-sfc-balanced (I think it’s nSide core?) looks okay here, but yeah, higan-accuracy has the issue. Have you tried standalone higan v106, by chance?

I just tried a couple times each with bsnes-mercury-accuracy and hgan-sfc-balanced. With bsnes-mercury-accuracy it happened both times and with hgan-sfc-balanced it only happened the second. Like I said in the original post it’s not 100% consistent. I did also try again a couple of times with snes9x and didn’t see it for either, but I’m not sure whether it’s just less consistent on that one or if I’m just mistaken and it never happened there.

I was able to replicate it with higan 106 standalone as well, but it never happened in all of my tries with bsnes-classic when I was actually trying to replicate it or during my actual playthrough of the game. So, who knows, it could just be something like more accurate cores not liking something about the patch.

1 Like