The best (wireless) controller for RetroArch (Windows)

I’m looking for recommendations for a good wireless controller. I hope to get one that has no much lag/delay. The controller will be connected to a Windows 10 x64 machine and will be serving mostly RetroArch emulation: nes, snes, sega, playstation etc.

There are a few options out there that have my interest. Playstation 3 controller (with xinput wrapper), Logitech F710.

Which one would you recommend? Or maybe some other great controller is out there?

I have a Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 at the moment which has a bit of lag/delay I think…

I think the PS3 controller and the Nvidia Shield controller are both good options.

Thanks! Any one else any recommendations?

The Logitech pad you have is the last good one. Current models are garbage that dies within a year, deadzone you can’t reduce, signal issues between two working at the same time…

I have a Wireless Rumblepad 2 as well–can’t say I’ve noticed extra latency with it. It’s a great master controller for commanding an HTPC as it’s built like a tank and can survive hundreds of falls off the couch.

If I could only have one controller for gaming, it would have to be the DS4. The sticks are great and the additional functions in the form of touchpad gestures and clicks are just too useful once you’ve been spoiled by them–that’s an additional 6 functions if you map swipes and touchpad clicks in a program like InputMapper. The D-pad isn’t bad for an analog controller, either.

That said, I’m not sure anyone spoiled by a good D-pad or stick who cares about NES, SNES, SMS, SG, etc. is going to be totally satisfied with a one size fits all wireless solution. I can’t recommend enough having a Saturn and SNES controller around, and if you’re into fighters, an arcade stick, but of course, they are all corded.

Anyway, having a few of both, I recommend skipping the DS3 for a DS4 and using InputMapper with it, even if you’re not interested in touchpad gestures.

Thanks for all the replies. I replaced my batteries in the RumblePad and it seems to be working pretty ok now. For now I’m going to stick with it!

Hi all I’m still looking for a good controller; preferably wireless. To me budget is definatly an issue with my 2 and 4 year old who will be throwing the thing around. I was thinking of something like this, how easy is it to install & use? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wireless-Gamepad-Remote-Controller-For-XBOX-360-Console-Wireless-Black-Joystick-For-Official-Microsoft-XBOX-Game/32629264182.html Is it a bad idea to buy in a chinese shop (I agree to a little less quality for a lower price).

That price difference is small enough that I wouldn’t bother with the knockoff. Maybe it’ll be fine but if you spend another $10 you’ll get the real thing with predictable construction.

To everyone who has the Cordless Rumblepad 2, you aren’t experiencing problems on the menus? I can’t even navigate the menus with it plugged in.

1 Like