The Vulkan driver stopped working suddenly on Windows 10

Today, Retroarch on Vulkan stopped working. It worked perfectly fine until recently, but now, it crashes when I launch any game / core. It crashes too if I try to switch from fullscreen to windowed mode. I suspect a WIndows 10 update to be the cause. I tried with stable and nightly versions of RA, and I updated my nVidia drivers and the problem remains. No problem with the Glcore driver.

The issue also occurs with a fresh config file, just changing the video driver to Vulkan and restarting RA, trying to switch to windowed mode, it crashes.

Anyone else facing this issue ?

Using MSI Afterburner perhaps? If so, try resetting the injection cache in RTSS (Setup -> scroll down).

Some Windows update a long ago did a similar thing here, as in prevented many applications from launching, and resetting the cache fixed it right up.

1 Like

Thank you ! The problem is indeed caused by MSI Afterburner. I tried to reset the cache, but it did not solve it. Then I just realized Retroarch on Vulkan now works only if MSI Afterburner is not running. So, it’s not exactly the problem you mentioned, but you helped me fix it anyway, so thank you !

Edit : disabling the RTSS OSD is enough to make RA work again.