TheNamec - Mega Bezel Packs Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20, CRTgaming soon

Very pretty! With all the perfect perspective tricks that make up your signature style.:star_struck:

5 Likes

Ooooooohh, shiny!! :star_struck:

Edit: Just because I am bored finishing up work, I decided to play the GB version of Bonk’s Adventure, while using the Amiga 1200synth, and I must say this may end up being how I play Gameboy games from now on.

5 Likes

That’s the kind of crazy stuff I like to see! :heart_eyes:

Let’s Bonk together!

Hey @Neofuuma you’re using the old RC1 Amiga1200Synth! Don’t forget to update to the new RC2 version, it’s equipped with a new CD-ROM reader and multi-floppy dot matrix screen :grin:

4 Likes

RAID OVER MOSCOW (unofficial Amiga conversion)

Here’s a gameplay of Raid over Moscow unofficial Amiga conversion on Mega Bezel Commodore Pack Amiga 500 + Commodore 1084 Monitor on Retroarch.

Erik Hogan from Pixelglass Games decided to complete the unreleased Amiga port of this praised 1984 Commodore 64 classic taking on the assets from original developer Access Software, coding this faithful conversion from scratch adding a modern control scheme and original soundtrack.

The game made quite a sensation because of the cold war theme, resulting in censorship in Finland, circulation of unauthorized copies, gamers debating about somewhat “realistic nuclear war” games and becoming a top seller of its generation.

Raid over Moscow is free to play and downloadable on http://pixelglass.org/?#raidovermoscow

5 Likes

Outrun on Amiga: a vile feud! And a Cannonball solution

Here's a gameplay of Outrun Enhanced remake on Mega Bezel Commodore Pack Amiga 600 HD + JVC TM-H150CG PVM (aka CRT Series Bezeltron-002M) on Retroarch 'Cannonball' core.

Sega 1986 classic Outrun had a very, VERY low quality Amiga porting by US Gold one year after the coin-op release: everything from the cult soundtrack, the graphic and performance was messed up in a somewhat rushed and disappointing conversion. To add insult to injury, they even added an horrible digital voice intro, kind of a warning of how bad the gameplay was going to be as soon as START is pressed.

Cheesy assets + poor palette + unplayable framerate = Amiga Outrun from US Gold

Fastforward to 2009, coder Chris White started building his own Outrun engine from scratch, fixing bugs and adding native widescreen, hi-res rendering, new game modes and lots of quality-of-life enhancements. The engine was named Cannonball after the movie that was the main source of inspiration for Yu Suzuki masterpiece.

David Carradine is... CannonBILL!

In 2017 Lantus360 aka Modern Vintage Gamer released his own Amiga RTG porting of Cannonball to Aminet, finally fixing the outrage to Amiga enthusiasts after 30 years: much high hardware requirements and feature/performance compromises aims this porting to a pretty restricted user base.

Missing bg and shadow graphics... additional Vampire card required... still not definitive port.
(source. MVG Youtube Channel)

In 2021 Agermose started all over again with a native AGA port. Will this vile feud come to an end once and for all for the Amiga Fanbase to live happily ever after?

In the meanwhile, I think we can better benefit from Cannonball Outrun Enhanced edition with the native RetroArch core, waiting for the native Amiga Outrun AGA port to come alive!

8 Likes

A NEW BEZELTRON CRT MONITOR APPEARS: Sony BVM-20F1U

Hello there bezellers!

The little side-project with the best CRT Monitors is going on and today I can announce the second entry in the Bezeltron CRT series: Sony BVM-20F1U, rebranded as BZT-003M.

Here’s some screenshots from the incredibly funny Rygar AGA Conversion from my next gameplay video

IRL these BVM broadcast monitors had separate add-on control units, I decided to put it in the bottom for a classic ‘home entertainment’ configuration.

Here’s a photo I used for reference.

Funny thing about those PVM/BVM models is that they share lots of components, meaning I may do further variations in the future considering I built my library of buttons, knobs and leds used… sky’s the limit!

Any requests?

6 Likes

Hello, I have Mega Bezel installed and running but I don’t know where to put your megabezel-commodore-pack-1080p folder for it to work, can you help me?

Hello there! You can put the ‘commodore-pack-1080p folder’ everywhere as long as it is in the /retroarch/shaders subfolder.

It will connect to HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader automagically :wink:

6 Likes

This is my new favorite word! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Ahahah in italian it would sound like ‘automagicamente’ :it:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious zero config would be a little to long :jack_o_lantern:

3 Likes

WOULD YOU MIND SUBSCRIBING THE YOUTUBE CHANNEL?

Afraid for begging, I’d like to get to 100 subscribers so I can customize the URL :heart_eyes: Thanks in advance.

FREE RYGAR INSIDE :grin:

Here’s a gameplay of Rygar unofficial Amiga AGA conversion on Mega Bezel Commodore Pack Amiga CD32 + SONY BVM-20F1U powered by Retroarch PUAE core and Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

Rygar: Legendary Warrior was released by Tecmo in 1986, a classic fantasy arcade hit that never found its way to Amiga machines despite the really nice Commodore64 and ZX Spectrum ports.

In 2019 team Seismic Minds with coder Mcgeezer developed its own straight-from-coinop unofficial conversion exclusively for Commodore AGA series, being A1200, A4000 and Amiga CD32 full with 30 rounds, new challenges, dual button controls, level codes system and, best of it all, the return of the iconic “Diskarmor”, a destructive chained-shield weapon.

Tip: you will find level codes and useful notes in the new game manual!

4 Likes

Well, since you asked nicely, and it’s a video with Rygar, I just can’t refuse :grin:

I’m going to have to check out this Amiga version, it looks pretty sweet.

4 Likes

Subscribed! Good luck with the channel! Perhaps you can do some videos using my shader preset pack someday!

Thank you @Cyber , spread the word! I’d like to try a preset integration this weekend and make some test. Is there a specific IRL display that you’re trying to reproduce?

1 Like

500 unique downloads!

Hey, I just realized the Mega Bezel Commodore Pack has already been downloaded 500 times, with 200 hits just for the recent RC2!

Noticed some people is still downloading the old RC1, I suppose there’s some ancient link circulating… Remember to update, as the latest revision is always fully tested against the current Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and Retroarch and is loaded with new features and content.

7 Likes

No, not at all, just the imaginary ones in my head. Lol Where necessary I would put in the work to try to sort out some of the tricks and effects like dithering and transparency but my main aim is to create something that looks great to me without straying too much from the original presentation.

I also aim to eliminate anything that stands out, causes distraction and breaks the immersion. That’s what I’m after, a truly immersive experience, which appeals to my nostalgia senses and allows me to enjoy the beautiful artwork and all other aspects of these wonderful treasures!

After that my next aim is to share these presets with others, especially newer users who may not have a clue as to where to start with such an overwhelming number of preset choices available. I just want others to be able to enjoy what I enjoy.

Believe it or not, I originally started this preset tweaking stuff as a result of the newer RetroArch versions no longer supporting .cgp presets. I used to use a preset called Death To Pixels which was based on presets in the excellent Analog Shader Pack 3.0 by @solid12345 . So I wanted to find something to replace that going forward. I came across and fell in love with HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader and well the rest is history!

I grew up playing mostly on a Commodore 1702 Monitor. (It was 60Hz NTSC so correct me if I’m wrong about the model because I think there were both 50Hz and 60Hz 1702s.) I tried your preset once but I was having some strange performance issues. The frame rate seemed to be capped at 50fps for some strange reason. With that said, I might probably continue to use the plain, minimalist Mega Bezel overlay primarily but would still like to use the Commodore 1702 Bezel as a showpiece sometimes. I don’t really like the computer and console overlays as a background to the monitors though. I prefer to have a more natural setting, maybe just a dark room type of backdrop or a simple TV stand or living room decor.

Thanks for your support, appreciation and interest in my shader presets. Keep up the excellent work with your bezels!

1 Like

I don’t really like the computer and console overlays as a background to the monitors though. I prefer to have a more natural setting, maybe just a dark room type of backdrop or a simple TV stand or living room decor.

I also think a more neutral background is better with TV/Monitor, I would really love it if @TheNamec does this.

1 Like

Like this one?

https://forums.libretro.com/uploads/default/original/3X/6/a/6a13e48977d05daddf1ae10fee647a9dfc62e6fe.jpeg

(Sorry, got problems uploading from cellphone)

1 Like

Exactly! That or some table, like this one:

P.S.: The only problem I saw in your example was that the colors of the background don’t band together smoothly, it can be my monitor thou.

1 Like

Yep! That’s the idea!!

I play on an OLED TV so something like that might completely blend into the background at night when the room is dark leaving just the monitor and it’s contents on my TV Stand! Perfect!!

By the way what shader preset are you using in that picture? It looks good! I also like that the curvature is at an extreme minimum. Is it even on in that picture?

I’m not completely against curvature, it’s just that I haven’t really seen the illusion done correctly to convey that the image is on a curved screen in the way that it looks on an actual curved CRT. Everything so far just warps the images in very inauthentic ways in my opinion and causes severe distraction especially when games are scrolling. I don’t remember Mario or Sonic looking like they were running around in a fishbowl. I remember the screens might have been curved but horizontal lines didn’t bend upward or downward at either end and vertical lines didn’t bend inward at the ends either like in a pin cushion. Sets probably came factory calibrated to reduce any type of pin cushioning and some allowed you to further fine tune the geometry to get things as straight as possible.