TheNamec - Mega Bezel Packs Amiga, Commodore 64, VIC20, CRTgaming soon

Would that work on current RetroArch? Imagine that on VR!

Yup since RC4 all preset will include an option for easy-peasy interger scaling with flat bezels and faux-curved bezels. Pixel purists will enjoy this! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Mannn looks really awesome! Can´t wait for the next RA release, it is starting to feel like christmas

5 Likes

retroarch 1.11 is released. does this mean rc4 is due to be released soon? anxiously waiting :yum:

5 Likes

Yes, same here. xD My heart skipped a beat when I saw that a new version was finally out. Knowing what’s coming in the next TheNamec pack and how the existing ones have already elevated my Amiga and C64’ng experience has me waiting with baited breath.

4 Likes

Ahah this really caught me by surprise! Fortunately I had quite a lot of things done.

Today I’ll do some extra icing on both assets and presets. It will be a long night!

I decided to enable all of the newest Mega Bezel marvels for you to enhance your retrogaming, like B-SPLINE filtered DREZ, new Hyllian de-dithering filter and super-xbr smoothing.

As we prepare our escape from the COMMODORE safe zone, we have to prepare for some serious CRT GAMING!

Senza-titolo-1

12 Likes

Heya bezellers! Finally after months of hard working (and waiting for the new RetroArch version coming out) the Mega Bezel Commodore RC4 is out!

Download it while it’s still hot on the Official DevBlog

Introducing a shiny new logo.

I’ll post some insight articles on the official devblog as there’s really A LOT under the hood this time.

Also welcome final Amiga CDTV. :grin:

This one is specially dedicated to @HyperspaceMadness: last months we pulled out really cool new tricks, the framework is growing faster than expected!

Here comes the changelog:

Mega Bezel Commodore Pack RC4 (October 2nd, 2022)

New release for public testing, complete overhaul of pixel shader chain based off the new MEGAREFERENCE SYSTEM. This enables for complex modular shaders mixing CRT masking, color correction, cables/signal, aspect ratios and my own variations called NMC SPICED FLAVOURS.

Minimum software requirements:

Content:

• Added COMMODORE AMIGA CDTV scene
  • Added RETROWALLS DARKSTUCCO scene
  • Added RETROWALLS NEONSMOKE scene
  • Added NMC SPICED FLAVOURS SHARP presets: RGB, S-VIDEO, SMOOTH SCALEFX
  • Added NMC SPICED FLAVOURS SOFT presets: COMPOSITE, RGB, RGB SMOOTH, SMOOTH SUPER-XBR, UPSCALE DREZ 480p, MONOCHROME, VECTOR, WORN-OUT
  • Added MBZ VANILLA FLAVOURS SHARP presets: ADVANCED, LCD-GRID, POTATO, SMOOTH ADV, STANDARD
  • Added MBZ VANILLA FLAVOURS SOFT presets: NTSC ADVANCED, NTSC POTATO, NTSC SMOOTH ADV, NTSC STANDARD
  • Updated PHILIPS 21PT3326-V7 with “fake flat” cabinet glass reflection
  • Updated README with tech insights, quick start procedures and customization guides

Features:

• Added MEGAREFERENCE SYSTEM to enable advanced visual customization
  • Added SHADER CONNECTORS to base vanilla Mega Bezel shaders
  • Added FLUIDVISION for responsive textured displays
  • Added CRT-MASK VISUAL LAYER to mimic original displays visual behavior
  • Added SIGNAL/CONNECTION VISUAL LAYER to influence visual clarity with special effects
  • Added COLOR-CORRECTION VISUAL LAYER to simulate real life CRTs colors
  • Added SCENE LIGHTNING VISUAL LAYER for advanced and vanilla day/night ambient lightning
  • Added DEVICE LIGHTNING VISUAL LAYER for advanced cabinet glass, tube diffuse, tube reflection static and tube shadow effects
  • Added GLOBAL OVERRIDE SETTINGS for users to toggle modular shaders (at their own peril!)

Enhancements:

• Added CRT-ASPECT-RATIO AUTO for automatic aspect ratio detection
  • Added CRT-ASPECT-RATIO EXPLICIT 1.33 for forced 4:3 aspect ratio
  • Added CRT-ASPECT-RATIO PIXEL ASPECT RATIO for core based pixel aspect ratio
  • Added CRT-CABLES COMPONENT/RGB/SCART for best quality connection, sharp and crisp image
  • Added CRT-CABLES S-VIDEO for top quality connection, clean image
  • Added CRT-CABLES COMPOSITE for standard quality connection, some noise
  • Added CRT-CABLES RF-MODULATOR for bad quality connection, hum-bar and noise
  • Added CRT-COLOR-CORRECTION TEMPERATURE with cold (9300k) and warm (6800k) presets
  • Added CRT-COLOR-CORRECTION MONOCHROME with amber, aqua, black&white, blood and green presets
  • Added CRT-MASK APERTURE-GRILLE BASE for “-tron” family displays
  • Added CRT-MASK PLASMA for monochrome display visuals
  • Added CRT-MASK SHADOW-MASK PRO for generic dot-triad professional displays visuals
  • Added CRT-MASK SLOT-MASK CONSUMER for generic consumer TV visuals
  • Added CURVED FAUX bezel presets for curved bezels on a flat screen

Fixes:

• Updated MEGA BEZEL REFLECTION SHADER presets parameters to latest public MBR shader version
  • Fixed FILENAME CASING CONVENTION for Linux users
  • Renamed NORMAL SCALING to FULL DEVICE SCALING
11 Likes

Wow, this is quite the accomplishment @TheNamec!

I think all these permutations of different CRT Flavours will be a really great fun for people to try out all the different looks.

Awesome Stuff!

6 Likes

As impressive as the release post is, I expect it pales in comparison to the actual presets.

I also expect to learn a lot from the example you set. :star_struck:

Great work @TheNamec. Congratulations!

The Amiga CDTV!!! :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Holy shizz, this was a WONDERFUL thing to wake up to this morning. I’ve been gleefully digging into the new presets and marvelling at each one; thank you so much for the hard work you’ve put into this, Namec. I’m seeing all my favourite 'miggy games in whole new lights and in ways now that I haven’t really seen since I actually owned one and played on a little Hinari TV. I really appreciate the soft composite preset you’ve included as that feels very nostalgic, and the CDTV overlay is absolutely gorgeous. The whole suite of options you’ve been able to implement is dizzying. I’ve included some screenies of some of those favourite games and how lovely they’re looking.

Cheers too to HSM and everyone involved in this amazing community project, cause yeah, y’all absolute stars for enabling all this for us.

5 Likes

I really appreciate that, I tryed to build this “Amiga experience” to capture that very specific visual with lots of variations. Tnx for the enthusiasm, that really makes things move on.

What happened in the second screenshot? Looks like a giant 16:9 black box :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Ah, I think that is auto-crop borders weirdness with EOB II and the Bezel Integer Faux preset. I’ve just fired it up again and the bezel widens back and forth during the intro a couple of times as P-UAE adjusts the cropping on the fly.

2 Likes

Ahhh that’s a specific bug happening between PUAE auto-crop plus Amiga dynamic resolutions and Mega Bezel adaptive aspect ratio.

You can fix it locally via overrides.param setting ‘force 1.33’ instead of ‘auto’. But this will squash/stretch aspect ratio by a little. Tnx for reporting!

@HyperspaceMadness I definally have to do my homework with that resolution table and intercept wacky Amiga resolutions once and for all!

4 Likes

Great Job @TheNamec! This looks to be a mammoth undertaking and your attention to detail and diligence are impeccable. It reminds me of another awesome and highly regarded Mega Bezel Graphics Developer, just can’t seem to pick his name at the moment, if anyone can help me, it will be greatly appreciated. :wink:

What I would describe this as is a sort of fantasy turned into reality. The only thing missing is the ability to be young and innocent once again in order to experience these things the way we did when we were children.

This brings us much closer though.

I was a C64 —> NES —> Sega Genesis —> SNES —> DOS/PC —> TurboGrafx-16 —> Turbo Duo —> Windows PC kid so I missed out on some of those awesome Amiga experiences you’ve been teasing in your screenshots.

Hopefully I’ll get to experience some of those awesome gems the way they were meant to be played by using your graphics and presets. Just send me a list of top 10 or 20 must plays and I’ll see if I could get started. Lol

As we all know none of this would be possible without the likes of @HyperspaceMadness and @guest.r, @Hyllian, @Dogway, aliaspider, Sp00kyFox and all other contributors just to mention the foundation and backbone of this aspect of RetroArch which has now evolved into a way of life and a labour of love for some of us.

They both must be feeling very proud looking at their babies growing up!

2 Likes

Perhaps “fake integer scale” might have a role to play in these multi-res situations as it allows the content to remain conformed to the Bezel dimensions you specify as opposed to jumping/snapping to the nearest integer size when the resolution and possibly aspect ratio changes?

We got the same problem with some PSX games like Tekken, Ridge Racer4, Silent Bomber etc. and a quick’n’dirty way to globally fix the problem in Mega Bezel Shader itself.

Problem is not (yet) being able to access core DAR (Display Aspect Ratio). So we have to made some case-by-case assumptions, managed by the internal reference table @HyperspaceMadness cleverly hardcoded into the ASPECT-RATIO: AUTO feature, and correct AR on the fly. Say 1:1 NES games being corrected into 4:3 like real life TVs used to do.

Amiga has many peculiar resolution modes that rely on this mechanism to dramatically enhance image quality in low-performance scenarios, like menu and loading screens, i.e. by doubling horizontal resolution. This, coupled with P-UAE core (heuristic?) detection and auto-cropping of padding/overscan, may pose some challenges: we want to respect native AR while also having nice textured bezels.

As I said, that was my fault not doing my homework of integrating Amiga profiles into the holy Mega Bezel reference table. We have the specs, it simply was not funny enough respect to crazy things like FLUIDvision and Hyllian super-xbr and de-dither wizardry and general shader pimping. I’ll do my best to catch up.

Consider I had to surrender playing Return to Monkey Island to put out RC4. After 30 years of waiting to finally know THE SECRET.

You’re in good hands with two sites indexing the huge Amiga 6000+ games collection:
LEMONAMIGA: https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/votes_list.php
HALL OF LIGHT: https://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php

And don’t forget @Hyllian for his gentle yet astonishing contribute into DREZ filtering, new DE-DITHER, and SUPER-XBR. These have been really breathing lots of life in our visuals lately! God bless our shaders wizards.

4 Likes

Congratulations my dear!

Thanks for sharing your great and beautiful passion with us. I am an admirer of your work.

Much success to you

3 Likes

Ohhhhh c’mon! Ahahaha tnx mate, hope to see your updated pack soon, feel free to experiment with my megarefence framework, I’d be glad to have your feedback :v:

6 Likes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X9X-R

After selecting according to the options in the picture, the preset cannot be loaded to take effect. Please help to find out what is the reason, other presets are normal.

3 Likes

Fine, I’ll check this weekend and hopefully came out with a fix release! TNX for your potato feedback :+1:

2 Likes

Doing a quick check, scenes/RetroWalls folders are missing the overlay_flat_day and overlay_curved_day folders.

1 Like