Thumbnail downloader alternatives?

I’m trying to download thumbnails using the Online Updater in 1.5.0. I tried to download the Final Burn set several times unsuccessfully. It’s extremely slow… I have a 100mb/sec fibre connection. It seems to get to 10-15% and then stop (and this takes about 1 hour). If the file is really so huge, I’m not sure it’s actually suitable to download from the Retroarch GUI?

Anyway is there another way to download these? I checked on github and I can see all the files there but I don’t see a way to download an entire folder like Final Burn or whatever. There has to be a way to externally download the same .zip file that the Online Updater is trying to download?

you can use the ‘clone or download’ button to download the repo and delete the ones you don’t want.

Ok, tried that about 5 times and every time the download fails after about 600mb with error NETWORK_FAILED. Tried Firefox and Chrome. I thought it could be something with my connection so I went to archive.org and downloaded a 2gb file without any problems. So I have no idea why I can’t download the complete repo.

I don’t think it’s possible to download the whole repo as a zip file. I tried on two different connections on two different computers. I think its a github limit or something since its a 32gb download.

Anyway, for someone else who has the same problem I found a direct link to the system thumbnail .zip files so you don’t have to download the whole repo http://thumbnailpacks.libretro.com/

1 Like

There were some needlessly huge box art images being used for thumbnails (some were well over 1000px height or width). So, I resized all of them to be no wider than 256px and no taller than 512px – then converted them to 256 color as well. The quality is still great and, most importantly, it resulted in a considerable size reduction. The MAME collection alone went from 7.18gb to 2.9gb.

I just uploaded them to DropBox in case anyone else might be interested …

Please feel free to share the link.

6 Likes

Hey Manga, your link is not available anymore. Any chance you could repost them somewhere else? Maybe a Google Drive shared folder, maybe?