Thumbnails/Games with '&' in them do not display

In my NES collection I have a lot of games with ‘&’ in them (e.g. "Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure), and I have matching boxarts for all the games, but they don’t appear. Is this a known issue?

Edit: 3D boxes are not displaying correctly either. Transparent backgrounds are not respected. I know it’s not the images, because I have the exact same images set to display in RetroArch 1.3.6. Also, the above mentioned issue does not exist in 1.3.6, games with ‘&’ in them display fine. Here’s a screenshot of RetroArch 1.5.0, with the thumbnail inserting a background, and 2nd image is RetroArch 1.3.6, working correctly.

This happened to me also, at some point the ‘&’ character in thumbnail filenames changed to underscore ‘_’, Retroarch searches for these files (e.g. “Bill _ Ted’s Excellent Adventure”)

Don’t know about the transparency.

Thanks for that information.

That seems like a pointless change. Now I have to go through 3 sets of thumbnails for every system, and change all the ‘&’ games.

I’m wondering if they’ve done that with any other symbols like !.

I’m wondering if they’ve done that with any other symbols like !.

According to the GitHub page:

The following characters in playlist titles must be replaced with _ in the corresponding thumbnail filename:

&*/:<>?|`

I also found this pull request that explains the changes.

I guess that makes sense.