Transferring retroarch to external hard drive?

will retro arch work if i cut the files to an external hard drive?

Yes, RetroArch is fully self-contained and portable. Just make sure that your configs point to relative locations rather than hardcoded drive letters (or change them to the new drive letter).

I actually just thought of asking this, because some of the ISOs I want to download are big files. I have 1TB of storage on my laptop, but an ISO set I saw recently would take up most of my free space. I was thinking of getting an external hard drive because of this.

I just transfered my RetroArch setup on an external hard drive, and it works perfect after a few modifications :

• Playlists do refer to games with hardcoded paths : you have to edit them, or delete them and generate new playlists.
  • If you associated your playlists with specifics cores, this is also hardcoded in retroarch.cfg. Just edit this file to fix that.
1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. Now I just have to find a reasonably priced external hard drive.

My whole setup is on a 4tb western digital drive. Hyperspin, rocket launcher, retroarch , dolphin, pcsx2, cemu and citra. All portable, running through xpadder for universal controller support.

Keep a DX9c installer on the drive. You’d be surprised how many computers need it to run retroarch.

Also, those relative paths. “… /… /emulators/retroarch/etc”

Nice. Thanks. I’ll make sure I keep that in mind. I might experiment with a flash drive first just to see if I can sneak in some games at work. Haha.

1 Like

lol, that’s literally what I do at work. I just set it up on a second virtual desktop and use Ctrl+Win+Arrow Keys to hide everything instantly hahaha.

Very informative thread.