Trouble when starting up through gamesome

Hi i am using an nvidia shield tv and and retroarch works great on it. I have receny tried using gamesome as a front end to make it simple for my kids to play. But when launching games from there it says failed to save to the default config dir. And has none of the settings that i have if i just go straight into retroarch like no overlay and high res mode…the controls work fine

Any help is greatly appreciated

I don’t know anything about gamesome. Have you tried asking them about it?

I use Gamesome+Retroarch just like you do, also I had the same problems about the configs, it’s very annoying, isn’t it? I use custom configs and custom paths for Retroarch, Gamesome forces a path for the config file, and as far as I know, there’s no way to change this config path, maybe in the near future, who knows?

Solution: If you use default paths for your Retroarch configs and everything else, you should do this: Using a file explorer with root access you go to your root folder, it uses to be , so the default path for your Retroarch config should be \data\data\com.retroarch, copy your retroarch.cfg from this folder and paste it (and replace if needed) in SD Card\Android\Data\com.retroarch (This is actually your internal memory usually known as SD Card, don’t confuse with SD Card 1 which is actually your real SD Card).

Resuming

Copy Retroarch.cfg from \data\data\com.retroarch Paste replace this file in SD Card\Android\Data\com.retroarch

I solved this problem this way, let me know if it worked for you.

[QUOTE=aorin1;35376]I use Gamesome+Retroarch just like you do, also I had the same problems about the configs, it’s very annoying, isn’t it? I use custom configs and custom paths for Retroarch, Gamesome forces a path for the config file, and as far as I know, there’s no way to change this config path, maybe in the near future, who knows?

Solution: If you use default paths for your Retroarch configs and everything else, you should do this: Using a file explorer with root access you go to your root folder, it uses to be , so the default path for your Retroarch config should be \data\data\com.retroarch, copy your retroarch.cfg from this folder and paste it (and replace if needed) in SD Card\Android\Data\com.retroarch (This is actually your internal memory usually known as SD Card, don’t confuse with SD Card 1 which is actually your real SD Card).

Resuming

Copy Retroarch.cfg from \data\data\com.retroarch Paste replace this file in SD Card\Android\Data\com.retroarch

I solved this problem this way, let me know if it worked for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks you i will try that once i root my shield i have been lazy with it but know i have a reason to.

You actually don’t have to root your device to get it working, I said you needed a root file explorer in case you had root access and used the default retroarch config. A side solution for you without root is simple, change retroarch config saving location, put that config file following the above explanation and you’ll be good to go.

[QUOTE=aorin1;35379]You actually don’t have to root your device to get it working, I said you needed a root file explorer in case you had root access and used the default retroarch config. A side solution for you without root is simple, change retroarch config saving location, put that config file following the above explanation and you’ll be good to go.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh I see what you mean now thanks i will let you know how it goes…i have been sick the last few days and unable to mess with it

[QUOTE=3p1c;35315]Hi i am using an nvidia shield tv and and retroarch works great on it. I have receny tried using gamesome as a front end to make it simple for my kids to play. But when launching games from there it says failed to save to the default config dir. And has none of the settings that i have if i just go straight into retroarch like no overlay and high res mode…the controls work fine

Any help is greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem with the config file and retroarch with gamesome. Are you running the gamesome 2.0 beta?

If you’re not you should because its better, just needs a little more work.

get the public beta by following the instructions.

You alse need to download the platform and emulator folder that the blogpost links, there you move these folders to your com.vektor.gamesome/files folder you will get, you can delete some files that has system that you are not playing etc to make the app look cleaner.

When you have everything installed, you can enter the emulator xml files and change where gamesome is gonna look for the retroarch.cfg file, I have my cfg file in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.retroarch/files/retroarch.cfg so I just changed the path under CONFIGFILE, it is not there by default. This made it so gamesome + retroarch work as I wanted, you have to do this on every emulator xml file.

hope this helps.

Changing the path for config files for Gamesome+Retroarch is actually the solution I used to overcome the config issue. I suggest you guys, if you’re like me using Retroarch for almost every system, you can use note++ open all xmls at once, and replace your current (custom) config path for retroarch and save them all in one click, you better copy the xmls from gamesome folder to your PC while doing that. After saving your new paths, just replace in your android gamesome folder and you’re good to go. I also suggest you to keep these files as a backup in a safe place for future use, so you won’t have to bother messing with that again.

So, basically when using it with gamesome it’s not using the path in sdcard/android/data/com.retroarch/files? I guess something is not initialized correctly when launching from the intent directly

[QUOTE=Radius;35441]So, basically when using it with gamesome it’s not using the path in sdcard/android/data/com.retroarch/files? I guess something is not initialized correctly when launching from the intent directly[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, I’m a member at the beta testing for Gamesome at Google+, I asked him why it’s forced to look for a file in one specific place, the dev said as I was using custom paths, even for configs, I’d have to change that path inside the xmls too, but I remember that the actual path these xmls look for is sdcard/android/data/com.retroarch and not /data/data/com.retroarch.

I recommend Arc Browser which works great on the SATV.

I’ve never heard of that buddy, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks eveyone for your help i was able to change where gamesome was looking for the config by changeing the xml data and all is well

Look for the new build in Gamesome Google+ Community, the dev has added an option for you to put your retroarch config, now you can browse it wherever it is, among other great features he has added, this is one of them.

+1 Changed from Gamesome to ARC Browser a few months ago. It’s way better in my opinion.

[QUOTE=kasperkaal;36189]+1 Changed from Gamesome to ARC Browser a few months ago. It’s way better in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Same here! ARC Browser is awesome. Developer is active and listens to his customers.