Trouble with N64 and Dolphin controls

Hey guys,

I’m having a couple issues with controller bindings for N64 and Dolphin in RetroArch 1.10.3. This is the PPA package on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Issue #1: Won’t recognize C button inputs if I bind them to anything other than the right joystick. Or rather I should say, it can be really flaky and unreliable. Sometimes it recognizes it and sometimes it just ignores it. As I understand it, this has something to do with analog C buttons turned on by default, but I don’t see an option anywhere in the menus to turn this off. How do I get it to properly recognize C buttons?

Issue #2: Can’t use GameCube controller for Wii games in Dolphin. It will say that the input type is set to GameCube controller, yet when I actually start binding the buttons, it only shows options for Wii input. Some Wii games offer native support for GameCube controllers like Smash Bros. I’d really like to have it for binding my controls, especially since I know standalone Dolphin allows me to do this.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

For the first issue, enable the ‘independent c-button mapping’ core option

for the second, you can use the Classic Controller, but gamecube pad isn’t exposed all the time, AFAIK, at least not in the libretro core.

Here is a list of games that use the Classic Controller scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_with_traditional_control_schemes

I used this list to curate my Wii ROMs collection, just to make things easy.

1 Like