Trying to get RetroArch 1.5.0 and keep 1.0.0.2.1. at same time

Hi there.

I’ve used RetroArch 1.0.0.2.1 for years with the prepacked Cores. I’m on an iPhone 5S and it just works… decided never to upgrade in fear of breaking things and losing my Jailbreak.

Anyhow, is 1.5.0 a ‘new app’? Can I install it as well without removing the old RetroArch so I can play around with it? See how it feels?

I’m not an expert on the iOS port, but I don’t think it is. I think you have to wipe out the old version to install anything newer.

Damn. Well, I guess I’ll stay on the Retro RetroArch. ;d

Thanks anyhow, HunterK :3

You can install multiple retroarch versions or duplicate same version on same device. 1- Install ifile (free version). 2- start ifile then go to this directory applications\Retroarch.app <= rename it to Retroarch1.app . Then go to inside Retroarch1.app/ after that tap on info.plist, then Property list View. 3- add number ‘1’ to CFBundleIdentifier => libretto.RetroArch become libretto.RetroArch1 . Done 4- Now you just need to respiring your device by installing or (reinstalling) activator from cydia (you can uninstall it after that).

I have 3 versions of retroarch Retroarch 1.0.0.2.1 named to RetroArch1.app Retroarch 1.3.6 named to RetroArch2.app Retroarch latest 1.5.0 same name Retroarch.app

2 Likes

Alright let’s cut that down since I’ve got all of that. Especially iFile… <3

So…

Step 1: Navigate to applications\Retroarch.app rename it to Retroarch1.app

Step 2: Open the API, find the info.plist and rename that to info.plist1

And that’s it? Oh and of course, respring.

Think I could call it “xRetroArch” ? ;d

I’ve been trying to figure out how to rename the App, I always knew that it could be done but I never found instructions anywhere, I can’t believe it’s THIS simple… ;U

Confirm steps are correct?

Your step 2 is wrong. Using ifile go to inside Retroarch1.app/ after that tap on info.plist, then Property list View. When tap on info.plist , you will see list of options one of them is “Property list view” choose it. Look for “CFBundleIdentifier” then tap on it and change libretto.RetroArch to libretto.RetroArch1 . After that follow the rest steps. Don’t change the app name to xRetroarch just follow my steps.

1 Like

Oh wow. Okay yes that’s why I like to clarify, I have very bad comprehension. >xp

Does rebooting my iPhone count as a ‘respring’? Just curious, instead of adding a random tweak that prompts a respring.

----------------EDIT----------------EDIT----------------EDIT----------------EDIT----------------EDIT----------------EDIT----------------EDIT Okay, I did as you said.

The App has disappeared from the Springboard. I do not see it anymore. I cannot search for it either. :c

Called it RetroArch1

Edit 2:

I see there’s CFBundleDisplayName, CFBundleExecutable, CFBundleName as well. Should I also change those to RetroArch1? :c

Edit 3:

I did all the steps again, seems this time it MAY have worked, the icon moved as if it was a newly installed App. Will investigate further. ;x

Edit 4:

… Oooh, I see now. So I’ve renamed the .app file, but the frontend label that’s shown on the Springboard is still going to be ‘RetroArch’ The name will still be the same.

So in the end, I will see two 'RetroArch’s on my springboard? And the difference will be the App’s picture? If so, perfect. ;p

Please confirm

It doesn’t matter if you have 10 apps named “RetroArch”. By the way, version 1.0.0.2.1’s icon is blue and the new one is black.

1 Like

Yeah that doesn’t matter for me.

So as long as I rename the .app name, and the CFBundleIdentifier I’m sweet and can have as many apps as I want? :3

------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT

Crap, I see at the download page there’s the options: iOS iOS9 OSX

OSX is Mac, that I know… but is iOS = 8 and prior? Or 10? iOS9 is… well, self explanatory.

I’m currently on iOS 8.4.0

Edit 2:

I am thinking iOS9 is for 9 and 10, since this is when Force Touch was released… and I should use ‘iOS’ instead. Correct?

My Firmware = iOS 8.4.0

Ios for 8 and lower and ios9 for 9 and 10. But that web only has IPA files, so it will install it on different directory. Try to install it from cydia as deb file to have both RetroArch1.app and new RetroArch.app in same directory. So both apps can access to same games. You can also install it as IPA as well.

1 Like

I thought so, okay thank you. Getting iOS one.

How do I convert it to a Deb file?

I think the last time I did this I dragged it into iFunBox but that must’ve been a Deb File and queued up for install alongside my next tweak…

------- EDIT ------- EDIT ------- EDIT ------- EDIT ------- EDIT ------- EDIT ------- EDIT ------- EDIT ------- EDIT

I unzipped the file from the download page. The file is actually just a ‘RetroArch.app’ folder.

Looks like I can just drop it into my Applications directory where my old and now renamed ‘RetroArch1’ resides via iFunBox

Is this true?

Yes it’s true. Then you just need to respiring your device by installing or (reinstalling) activator from cydia (you can uninstall it after that) to see the new RetroArch.

1 Like

MrSeven_X if I could rep you I would… but I do not know how… so I’ll just heart your posts. <3

Thank you so, so VERY much with how you’ve helped me… I cannot express it enough. :'x

I have one more question… will my old save files from 1.0.0.2.1 work with 1.5.0, or must I start all over?

If not, is there any way to convert them?

------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT ------ EDIT

Well I dropped it in via iFunBox, next to the old RetroArch and then I uninstalled and reinstalled Activator, it doesn’t seem to be appearing.

RetroArch (new) doesn’t seem to be showing.

I do remember I had to do something fiddly to get my first one showing, but I cannot remember what it was…

Yes you can use save data on both versions. Go var/mobile/Documents/.RetroArch copy all files end up with .srm and paste To var/mobile/Documents/RetroArch/saves

Copy .state files from var/mobile/Documents/.RetroArch and paste to var/mobile/Documents/RetroArch/states

I’m sure you would ask me this question psx bios, so the answer, copy psx bios files from var/mobile/Documents/.RetroArch and paste To var/mobile/Documents/retroarch/system

Done

If the app doesn’t appear reboot your phone, then reinstalled activator.

It’s still not showing up… :'c

Edit: Still nothing… :'c

I noticed the Permissions are missing ‘write’ and for some reason I can’t edit them in iFunBox, the program’s always been so… fidgety.

Uggh I had a wondrous Alternative to iFunBox that allowed me to SSH into my iPhone and change permissions from there. But I can’t remember what it was…

Also iFile wont let me edit the permissions, either. I remember doing it easily through SSH can’t remember program… :’{

Edit:

Found program… fixed permissions, app still missing :<

Shouldn’t I rename the app title? :c

Try these steps 1- delete retroarch.app 2-install IPA 1.5.0 using ifunbox if doesn’t work then try cydia impactor. Now you can use it as regular iOS app installed from App Store. But if you want like deb apps then go to next steps. 3- install filza file manager from cydia. 4- start filza then copy retroarch.app and paste beside retroarch1.app 5- delete retroarch 1.5.0 6- reinstall activator Don’t use ifunbox to copy retroarch.app use filza file manager or ifile.

Sadly I do not understand… :'c

I have Filza File Manager.

I don’t know where or how to find the .IPA or .DEB all I have is the .APP

How do I use Filza to copy in RetroArch 1.5.0…? Do I find the Libretro download on my phone and download it from there?

I’ve always downloaded onto my PC first, but I could do it from my phone if that’s what you mean. I have a DL Manager.

convert the .app to ipa by drag and drop the .app to iTunes, then drag it from iTunes to desktop it will be ipa. then follow what i said before.

Oh you’re kidding, I forgot all about that…

Edit:

“The App RetroArch could not be added to your Library because it’s not a Valid App.”

iTunes 12.5.5.5

Would you be willing to send me the .IPA you made via Mega.co.nz or GoogleDrive?