Trying to run Atari 800 and 5200 at same time through RocketLauncher

I have a frustrating problem.

I have both Atari 800 and Atari 5200 set up in RocketLauncher with the Atari800 core.

I have to pick the system in the quick menu/options for each system, each time I load the other system, in order for it to work.

So I thought, I’ll just make a copy of the core and call it Atari800 and another copy and call it Atari5200. I did that, but still, no matter how many times I try to set it and save current configuration or save core overrides, it changes it for both systems.

So frustrating…

How can I have one copy of the core, named something different, set up for Atari 800 and another copy of the core, named uniquely, set up for Atari 5200?

This exact process works for other systems running the same cores in order to give me different bezels/overlays, but it’s not working to set the system type.

I’d really appreciate a solution to this one.

Thanks,

–Jason

The options are stored in one file Retroarch-core-options.cfg afaik.

You would need to launch with a different file specified by RL.

I’m sure RL has a way around it but you will get a better answer there.

Also I have seen many people just have a 2nd installation of RetroArch to run the odd system that conflicts. It’s the easiest route usually

I didn’t think of that, actually. That’s a good idea. Thanks.

Hmmm. I don’t know how I’d set that up in RL though, so I’m not sure that will work, after all.

There has to be some other way around this.

im sure you just add a new emulator but I have very limited knowledge of RL.

There must be a way but you would surely get a better explanation over at the RL forums. It must have come up before

@jevansoh this extract from the RetroArch module notes explains what you need to do. I guess just pick one system i.e Atari 5200 and creat a config for it.

Config files: ; By default, the module looks for config files in a folder called config in the RetroArch folder. Example: C:\emus\RetroArch\config. You can change this folder to anything you like by changing the module’s ConfigFolder setting in RocketLauncherUI. This will be the config folder for the module and will NOT change the location of RetroArch’s own /config directory. ; RetroArch’s global config file is called “retroarch.cfg”. RetroArch will use a system cfg file named to match your System Name (example: Nintendo Entertainment System.cfg). ; RetroArch will also load core config files named after the core name. Example: nestopia_libretro.cfg ; This allows different settings globally, for each system, and for each core. If you want all systems to use the same retroarch.cfg, do not have any system or core cfg files, only have the retroarch.cfg. ; If a core config exists, it takes precedence over the global config. And if a system config exists, it takes precedence over the core config.

Well, I tried that. Tell me if I did it right. I saved “new” config - that created a cfg file just for each system. But it didn’t work. :frowning:

I expect there’s more steps to it. I don’t have any of it setup I’m afraid.

I had a similar problem. I made a playlist with some 800 XL games. It was my first home computer.

It seems, it is not possible to keep different settings for the 800XL and the 5200 playlist without going in the RA menu and change them manually, when you switch systems.

My workaround was to make a copy of the atari800 core to a new file renamed as atari_xl_libretro.dll. Then I had to edit the core with a hex-editor and replace the needed atari800_… entries with atari_xl_… ones. In RA I linked my 800XL playlist to the hex-edited core and made my settings after loading a game.

Now I have permanent individual settings for both systems in my retroarch-core-options.cfg

atari800_artifacting = “disabled” atari800_cassboot = “disabled” atari800_internalbasic = “disabled” atari800_keyboard = “poll” atari800_ntscpal = “PAL” atari800_opt1 = “enabled” atari800_opt2 = “disabled” atari800_resolution = “336x240” atari800_sioaccel = “enabled” atari800_system = “5200” atari_xl_artifacting = “disabled” atari_xl_cassboot = “disabled” atari_xl_internalbasic = “disabled” atari_xl_keyboard = “poll” atari_xl_ntscpal = “PAL” atari_xl_opt1 = “disabled” atari_xl_opt2 = “disabled” atari_xl_resolution = “336x240” atari_xl_sioaccel = “enabled” atari_xl_system = “800XL (64K)”

It is just a dirty workaround, but I don’t know a better solution.