Turbo Assignment (MAME)

I’m having a hard time assigning turbo buttons in MAME (current) despite what I have read in other turbo threads. I may not understand how it is supposed to work. I have a hotkey button set in the “input” menu, then I go to the “controls” menu, set the button I want (B) and single button toggle (I’m assuming this means I use the hotkey I set to “turn on” the turbo fire for the button (B)), however, nothing happens.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

IIRC, there’s something you need to assign in settings > input > port 1 controls, down at the bottom of the list? Like, another turbo thingie?

I never use turbo, myself, so I’m not familiar with the process, but I recall this being the case.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the one I have set the hotkey in the input menu, at the bottom of the port 1 options, as you said.

ok, yeah, that all sounds right to me, then. Have you tried it with any other cores to see if it’s just the specific game/core you’re testing that doesn’t like your turbo rate? (this is very common; if a game receives the inputs too quickly, it’ll just ignore all of them, which is why we have the period and duty cycle settings)

1 Like

Well, I just tried a couple other cores and it doesn’t seem to be working anywhere.

I’ve been reading up a bit more and it sounds like the “toggle” for single button turbo doesn’t actually toggle the button of choice off and on as the turbo button, which is what I would have wanted it to do. So, I have no idea how it works.

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of a turbo button in the past, but you get to the age where your fingers only have so many button clicks left in them and button mashing makes the hand sore. lol

I guess my feedback, if I could be permitted to offer some, would be to make the turbo assignment work like it does on the controllers that have a built-in hardware turbo… that would be to hold an activator button and click the button you want to assign turbo to… that turns it on. Then if you repeat both buttons it turns it off. This method would make it simple enough even for the average guy like me to operate. Not sure if anyone will read this, but thanks for considering my suggestion.

I feel like that’s how the “classic” turbo is supposed to work. The single-button variety lets you apply turbo to a … single button, but that’s as much as I know about it.

1 Like