Turbografx resolution, output, scaling

I think that the TG-16 core may have similar issues to Genesis Plus GX. When playing games like Soldier Blade, I notice that there is “warping” on objects that scroll horizontally even though the image is supposed to be 1:1 PAR with integer mode enabled. Vertical scrolling seems to be fine.

When the output is set to 1:1 PAR, you actually have to enable “keep aspect” in the core options for it to display correctly. Normally I would expect any aspect ratio correction to be disabled for a proper 1:1 image.

Screenshots were taken at 1x scale, then resized to 200% to make things easier to see.

“Keep Aspect” disabled: Original Image Host

“Keep Aspect” enabled: Original Image Host

The emulator doesn’t seem to be switching to the high resolution display mode properly either. High resolution “arcade” mode enabled in the game, “keep aspect” disabled: Original Image Host

High Res + “Keep Aspect” enabled: Original Image Host

It looks like the high res mode is being scaled down to fit the standard TG-16 resolution.

Even in the best mode (“keep aspect” enabled, and running in low resolution) there is still some of this warping as objects scroll horizontally, so I’m not sure that it’s a true 1:1 - it just seems to be the least bad option.

Bump

screenshots don’t work

How strange, they are working here in Firefox and Internet Explorer. I have uploaded the images to a new host. Are they working for you now?

what’s the behavior on standalone mednafen

It’s similar, but not quite the same. I had some difficulty getting it working though.

Mednafen: Normal

Mednafen: Arcade

The image is vertically offset for some reason too.

Mednafen currently scales all games to 288x232, which is exactly halfway between 256x224 (the correct resolution for most games) and 320x240. I’m guessing that’s the source of all the other problems you’re seeing.

Returning to the TG16 after taking a long break, this still seems to be broken.