Twin stick shooters in MAME core - issue on second stick

With the newer MAME cores i.e. not 2003 (or 2003 plus, which I know works) I cannot get the second stick to act as a second ‘firing’ joystick in Smash TV. It just fires all the time and doesn’t register the down movement as one direction/press, but rather as two stick directions. I know this has been an issue before but can’t seem to find a fix. I could use Mame 2003 Plus, however using a G-sync monitor this build doesn’t scroll as well as the newer builds, I think this is due to how 2003 and Plus were programmed i.e. less accurate. If someone can tell me how to accurately get the right stick to work that would be great, as RA is great on a G-sync monitor! Any ideas @hunterk ? Thanks in advance.

I would check in the MAME OSD for the later core(s) and see if there’s anything wonky with the second stick mapping there.

Do you mean the ‘TAB’ menu? That’s where if I assign it, it goes wonky. Just the down press on the right stick. Is there anyway I can get into the later MAME core mappings manually, via an .ini or something similar?

Can you tell me what kind of device you are using?
A gamepad with 2 analog sticks, arcade sticks, 2 different gamepads…
Maybe i have a workaround for you

An Xbox One controller.

Ok, this should be fairly easy.

• Leave your MAME (Tab) settings unaltered (same as for other games)
  • Create a game override file (RetroArch/config/MAME/smashtv.cfg)
  • Enter those values (this are the values for my Logitech Dual Action Gamepad. You have to use the values of your XBox pad)
    input_player1_b_axis = "+5"
    input_player1_a_axis = "+2"
    input_player1_y_axis = "-2"
    input_player1_x_axis = "-5"

[Explanation]
The values in Settings - Input are not saved automatically in the override file so you must enter them manually.
I tested it and it works on my side.
I hope the same goes with your setup.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Used my own values, but this sorted it.