Ubuntu 15.04 Retroarch Setup - Not sure if it installed correctly

I used the ppa installer in terminal using the following code. As I understand, this installed all the cores available, which I probably will not use a fraction of. I found the sticky above much more appropriate. When I open the program, it loads a black screen that looks more menu-ish, then this white screen pops up showing a setup type gear under each heading that will not do anything.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install retroarch retroarch-* libretro-*

My first attempt was incomplete due to a poor wifi connection, so I did update and upgrade commands, which seemed to complete the install.

I followed the instructions here for changing the libreto_directory to include all the cores, but nothing changed on the white screen of nothingness.

I have not loaded any roms anywhere yet. This looks nothing like the Retropie interface that comes up on the RaspberryPi I just set up.

Any help would be awesome.

N00buntu user

That’s a weird problem that happens sometimes with the XMB menu. The quickest solution is to open your ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg file in a text editor and look for menu_driver and change the value from “xmb” to “rgui” or “glui”. This should fix the white screen issue.

To be honest, you’re probably better off switching from the libretro/stable PPA to the libretro/testing PPA, which will give you nightly builds. RetroArch is kinda like x264 or FFmpeg, in that we live in git and fix things daily, so waiting for a “stable” snapshot is frequently more of a liability. In fact, this may fix your white screen issue on its own.