Ubuntu 15.10, keyboard/input not working (weird issues... see inside)

Reposting in general for visibility as it may not only be a Linux only issue:

see original http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5359 though no replies just yet.

So a couple odd things I’ve experienced on a fresh Lubuntu 15.10 install:

I setup Retroarch via the stable PPA (retroarch retroarch-* libretro-*) and almost everything was doing good, except every time I set the RGUI to go into fullscreen mode, it would lockup when exiting, but when launching a game directly (no RGUI) in fullscreen it seemed fine, so since I was using a frontend (attractmode) it wasn’t a big deal, set full screen via config and it was working. Tested with SNES cores (snes9x – for some reason bsnes wasn’t working for all games?).

Then, all of a sudden, keyboard input stops working all together in retroarch (cannot exit, quit, etc), turned fullscreen back off, tried debugging, nothing. The ONLY key bind which seems to work was “/” which brought up the search box, which I could then type things in and it would work (tested searching “core” and “content”, it would move to “Load Core” and “Load Content” accordingly).

So I figured something was messed up, removed my config, did a full uninstall and purge, then reinstall, same issue.

Tried switching to the testing branch, same issue.

I tried switching input_driver to sdl2 or linuxraw (from udev) to no avail.

The keyboard itself is a bluetooth keyboard which works fine in the front end, terminal, etc, I’m using the default Lubuntu DM/DE with lightdm + openbox + lxpanel.

HELP!

Does it act any differently if you run as root (i.e., sudo retroarch)? Not that you should do this regularly, but just to see if there’s some weird permissions issue.

Nope, same deal. I actually tried that but failed to mention in this post.

Tried doing another full purge/uninstall of Retroarch ensuring all config files also deleted, still no luck. Tried a different keyboard just in case too.

Bump, still experiencing issues.