Unable to load thumbnails

After doing a lot of searching and re-reading the documentation I’m still not able to get my thumbnails to download.

Currently, I’m only interested in using arcade ROMs with the FB-Neo core. So I’ve used clrmame and rebuild / checked my romset with a recent FB-Neo set.

So when the online thumbnails downloader produced no results I tried the following things:

• moved my old installation and installed the latest nightly
  • used the online updater to: download FB-Neo core, update databases, update assets

Next I downloaded the latest FB Neo dat file (arcade only) and created a playlist using the following settings:

Content folder:points to the roms folder containing the zip files Default core: Arcade (FB Neo) Arcade DAT file: FinalBurn Neo (ClrMame Pro XML, Arcade only) Arcade DAT Filter ON

Start scan

Now I have a playlist where the entries have their full names (not the zip file names).

However, there are no thumbnails showing although on demand download is set to ON.

As I was running PROCMON I looked up what was happening when browsing the playlist and I could see that RetroArch is looking into the thumbnails folder. It’s looking for a sub folder named as the playlist and the sub folders Named_Boxarts, Named_Snaps and Named titles. Just as the documentation says. These lookups fail because the folders don’t exist. I also noticed retroarch making a network connection as I browse the ROMS but there isn’t much traffic.

When I manually run the thumbnail updater, the same happens for each entry. I’ve also inspected the logfiles (set to debug) but during scanning it only produces entries like this:

[ERROR] [Thumbnail]: Download “D:\Games\RetroArch\thumbnails\FB-Neo-uitzoeken\Named_Titles\Hidden Catch 2000.png” failed: File not found.

I also tried installing the complete boxarts archive (from Github) into the Named_Boxarts folder and then the boxarts show. However, this wastes a lot of space and I would really like to get the downloader to work.

At the moment, I can only assume that maybe my ROMS are somehow failing to match the database but AFAIK there’s no way to verify this.

Any help to resolve this is much appreciated, thanks!