Unable to select PSX core after choosing content

Hi,

New to using Retroarch so please bare with me.

I’m trying to play FFIX, however once I have selected the Playstation core (Either Beetle PSX or Beetle PSX HW) I’m unable to load my Final Fantasy .bin files. Instead, when I select the .bin file it just takes me to what seems to be a list cores, and the PSX cores are not there. I’ve tried searching for a solution but I’ve had no luck.

FWIW the bios files are saved in ~/.config/retroarch/system/bios… Not sure if that would make a difference.

I have tested a GBA game using the VBA-M core and that works perfectly fine, no issues at all selected the core or the content.

I’m running Retroarch 1.6.7 on Ubuntu 16.04.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beetle-psx can’t load bin files directly, only their accompanying cue file.

The same thing happens for the .cue files, it just shows a list of cores but the Beetle PSX cores aren’t showing.

Hmm, maybe try updating your core info files. Otherwise, we’ll need more info, such as OS, hardware, etc.

How do I update the core info files? (forgive my newbishness!)

Information:

• Model: Dell Chromebook 13 7310
  • Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-5005U processor, Intel HD Graphics 5500 GPU

I’m running Retroarch 1.6.7 downloaded via the PPA.

If you’re using the retroarch-assets package from the PPA, it might be old.

You can try going to settings > directory and change the ‘core info’ directory to somewhere user-writeable (somewhere in ~/.config/retroarch would be appropriate) and then go to the online updater and update the core info files.

I’ve just tried this again and the cores are listed, but when I select either Beetle PSX or Beetle PSX HW the screen flashes black and then I get a message saying “Failed to load content.”

Any ideas?

this is almost always (in order of likelihood) 1.) missing/bad BIOS, 2.) bad dump (whether it’s just a bad file or has unsupported separate audio tracks, etc.) or 3.) malformed cue sheet (points to files that don’t exist, etc.

1 Like

Yes! It works! Thanks so much for your help! Have a great day!

(Fixed by changing the BIOS directory to the correct location.)

1 Like

what is the exact procedure you did sir? i have a problem in my lakka os my PS1 games says “FAILED TO LOAD CONTENT”

usually this means you are missing the bios files. you need to have scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin, scph5502.bin

Ensure that your location in Settings > Directory > System/BIOS contains the BIOS files mentioned above.

My directory for the System/Bios is ~/retroarch/system/. Imgur link.