Unbind controller command in Mame?

For some reason pressing either the right or left analog stick on the 360 controller cause it to reset the game which is incredible annoying and needs to be disabled but how to do that? I can’t find a controller setting in the menus.

It should be in the MAME core’s OSD menu.

Thanks I managed to unbind R3 but how to do that with L3 (or f2 on the keyboard) which puts it in service mode. Even-though I unbind it from the menu it just ignores it or is that some kind of a bug?

I’m also trying to unbind these default hotkeys, L2 here open the menu, L3 goes to the machine configs, R3 Resets the game, I’d like to unbind all these keys.

So, I’m still stuck without being able to unbind MAME default hotkeys in my PS3 gamepad. Any suggestions to solve it are welcome.

In Windows when a MAME game is loaded press Tab to open MAME’s special OSD menu. Conflicting hotkeys can be remapped or removed there.

The hotkeys can also be disabled through a special config file. To disable the service and reset hotkeys, copy the code below to a textfile and save it as default.cfg Then copy that file to <retroarch folder>\saves\mame\mame\cfg\default.cfg . Create the folders if they do not yet exist. (Yes, there are two mame subfolders in a row in the path, not a typo.)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- This file is autogenerated; comments and unknown tags will be stripped -->
<mameconfig version="10">
    <system name="default">
        <input>
            <port type="SERVICE">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    NONE
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port type="UI_RESET_MACHINE">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    NONE
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port type="UI_SOFT_RESET">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    NONE
                </newseq>
            </port>
        </input>
    </system>
</mameconfig>

Nice man, it worked! L2 and R2 still had functions, OSD menu and show FPS respectively, I used the OSD menu inside the MAME core itself and now I’m free of the auto bindings that bugged me so. I had a hard time to figure out what were the options, since the OSD menu is unreadable, but I managed after some hits and misses.

Thank you guys and specially roldemort for the tip.

Yes that is a bug . For now if you want to see the OSD menu text clearly then temporarily use an old MAME core, open and change things in the OSD menu and then copy/edit the saved default.cfg file and use it with the newest MAME core.

More MAME hotkeys can also be disabled by extending the default.cfg with more <port> sections that set hotkey NONE for MAME other actions. More action names (“port types” fields in the .cfg above) can be found on this page https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/emu/inpttype.h . Search for UI_SOFT_RESET on that page to see the context.

I’ll take a look, thanks again!

As a side note, I noticed that we can actually use save and load states binding MAME hotkeys or using the default keys as in the standalone version, even though the core itself states it doesn’t support save/load, which probably works differently. But it’s nice we can save the state before closing the game to keep playing later from where we stopped.