Unreadable text

The one in /etc/ is just there as a reference, so no worries there.

I would recommend trying to launch from a command line, since it will print relevant information to the console.

1 Like

Running ‘retroarch’ from the command line returns retroarch not found.

Alex:  retroarch

Command ‘retroarch’ not found, but can be installed with: sudo apt install retroarch Alex: sudo apt install retroarch [sudo] password for Alex:
Reading package lists… Done Building dependency tree… Done Reading state information… Done The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: linux-headers-5.15.0-75 linux-headers-5.15.0-75-generic linux-image-5.15.0-75-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-75-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-75-generic Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them. The following additional packages will be installed: libpthread-stubs0-dev libqt5waylandclient5 libroar2 libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcb1-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev x11proto-dev xorg-sgml-doctools xtrans-dev Suggested packages: libroar-plugins-universal roaraudio-server libmuroar0 slpd socat libx11-doc libxcb-doc libxext-doc The following NEW packages will be installed: libpthread-stubs0-dev libqt5waylandclient5 libroar2 libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcb1-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev retroarch x11proto-dev xorg-sgml-doctools xtrans-dev 0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded. Need to get 6,748 kB of archives. After this operation, 28.6 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

If other flatpaks are still in the root file system will installing Retro Arch via APT generate conflict?

After looking all over the root file system, I found flatpak in /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.liberto.RetroArch/x86_64 stable. Also in /var/lib/flatpak/exports/bin in a directory labled org/libretro.RetroArch. In /var//lib/flatpak/repo/ flathub.trustedkeys.gpg and a boat load of flatpak-cache files in /var/tmp/

Waiting to see what you think before I proceed with the install via the command line. :smiley:

Ah, yeah, looks like you were probably running the flatpak version during all of these tests.

I wouldn’t recommend installing via apt unless you still have the PPA in your sources, as it will probably pull an ass-ancient build from the debian repos.

1 Like

LOL! The PPA is in the sources list:-

Ok to proceed hunterk?

yes, I say go for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Retro Arch is now in the Linux Mint start Menu and launches w/o fail! This is great!

Is it safe to go into the config file and change the menu_driver back to “xmb” ? BTW, the frames are still loading. Is that normal?

Yeah, try switching it to “xmb” or “ozone” to your preference. You can check your video driver, as well, now.

1 Like

Ok. The frames are still loading and have been for an hour now. Is that normal?

Not exactly. It should be off by default, but in any event you can turn it off by going to settings > onscreen display > onscreen notifications > visibility > display frame counter OFF.

1 Like

I don’t have Setting in the Menu at all. It’s says “no core” All I have in the Main Menu is:

Load Content Show Desktop Menu Online Updater Information Config File Restart Retro Arch Quit Retro Arch

And in my Linux Mint’s Main Menu there are 2 versions of Retro Arch. One says Retro Arch and the other says RetroArch (flatpac)

I think something is missing and you?

You mean in xmb? if so, it’s set up with tabs and settings is to the right. if you have trouble tracking it down, you can always go back to RGUI:

1 Like

Yes, in xmb. I think I’ll have to change it back to “rgui” because I don’t have “Settings” while the menu_driver is set to “xmb”

Press the directional arrow (or dpad on a controller) to the right or left to cycle through the tabs on XMB. This is the settings tab:

The API doesn’t show what you have in your screenshot when I have the menu_driver set to “xmb”. On this Linux Mint install the icons don’t appear in the RA API.

The Retro Arch API only works for me when I set the menu_driver to: “rgui”.

Going into the Settings and turning the display frame counter to off went well, thanks! I have to get some rest hunterk, it’s been a long day.

1 Like

Are there Guides in this Forum to help set up Retro Arch?

I know I need to make a BIOS directory and a ROM directory but not sure where to place those games files and how to proceed.

Not in the forum, no, but we have a bunch of stuff on docs.libretro.com and youtube, and there are many, many third party “getting started” tutorials on youtube and elsewhere on the web.

You can put your ROMs anywhere. Just scan them wherever they normally live. I keep all of mine on a network share.

For the system/BIOS directory (or any other directory RetroArch uses), you can go to settings > directory and see the default location and (optionally) change it to wherever you like.

You have been very helpful hunterk, thank you!

Enjoy your weekend!

1 Like

When my distro get’s updated will the Retro Arch PPA automatically get updated?

Hmm, I’m not actually sure about that. I think so…?

I’ll see if the Linux group I help out in knows. If you have time and find out please let me know.