[update 15-Nov-2014] RetroArch PSP 1.0.0.3 beta2

update 15-11-2014: this update includes a heavily improved pce-fast core.

for psp-1000 RetroArch-1.0.0.3-beta2-PSP.zip

for psp-2000+, this version will hopefully make it not necessary to change your cfw settings to access the 32MB extra ram. RetroArch-1.0.0.3-beta2-PSP-Slim.zip

any feedback/bug reports are greatly appreciated. please specify your psp model and used CFW if possible.

currently contains following cores :

• gambatte
  • tempGBA
  • fceumm
  • fmsx
  • beetle-pce-fast
  • nxengine
  • prboom

more cores may be added in the future if they prove to be fast/stable enough to run on the PSP. bios files go into the cores/system directory…

this is a beta release so use it at your own risk :slight_smile:

Known issues:

• some cores require more than 32MB ram and will not work on psp-1000.
  • cannot create saveram in tempGBA with some games.
  • nxEngine(cave story) takes too long to start.
  • loading games from compressed files takes too long.
  • ‘Restart RetroArch’ option doesn’t work.
  • pressing left/right when in the menu can sometimes close it.
  • most users reported blackscreen when running it on ps-vita (TN-V10).

Resolved issues:

• tempGBA now correctly saves sram to the correct folder (.sav extension)
  • fixed an issue with tempGBA when loading compressed archives.
  • pce-fast: fixed most graphical glitches and improved speed a lot. most CD-rom games now run close to fullspeed.

additional information:

• main menu can be accessed with the ‘note’ button.

• some cores require the following bios files present in the system directory ( default is RetroArch/cores/system) in order to run : tempGBA : gba_bios.bin fmsx : MSX.ROM MSX2.ROM MSX2EXT.ROM MSX2P.ROM MSX2PEXT.ROM FMPAC.ROM DISK.ROM MSXDOS2.ROM PAINTER.ROM KANJI.ROM pce-fast : syscard3.pce ( required for PCE-CD emulation only)

• prboom requires prboom.wad in the same folder as the wad you want to load, you can get it here

• you need to properly set your ‘Extraction Directory’ in ‘Settings’–>‘Path Options’ to be able to load from compressed archives. .zip and .7z archives are supported.

• fps display is deliberately being forced to on in this debug build. it will be deactivated (and controlled from the main menu instead) in later builds.

• this tempGBA build doesn’t use frameskip, so expect framerate to sometimes drop below 60fps. this will hopefully be resolved in the future with either frameskip, or better, a custom hardware accelerated video renderer.

This is absolutely insane. I tested a few cores and it works so darn well. You did a really good job with the port. It’s all compatible with my PS3 save files and everything!

My only suggestion would be to add a button combo to bring up the rGUI in-game like the other console ports. Going into the input settings of the PSP port, the Menu toggle isn’t set and every PSP button is already used in the TempGBA.

Maybe L + R + Select? Unless it’s already there and I missed it.

Still, mad props.

ah, forgot to mention it, you bring up the retroarch main menu ingame with the “note” button, the one left of ‘select’.

Cool, works great.

As for bug reports, the PSP seems to hang and shut off when I change the save file path in the path settings but that may be my crappy slow memory stick. It might be worth checking out.

Edit: Never mind, it was indeed my memory stick. Looks like I’ll be needing a new one.

Edit 2: The TempGBA core saves and loads the savefile from the rom directory ignoring the set savefile path setting. It also tacks on “savefiles”+ name of the rom and ends with a .sav extension. I know those aren’t bugs but it’d be nice if the tempgba save extension would be standardized to .srm like for every other core for seamless crossplatform loading if it’s not too complicated.

It works great though.

@aliaspider, maybe TempGBA is not saving using the libretro interface? if that’s the case it should use retro_get_save_directory I guess so it saves in the correct location at least.

“for psp slim/go, make sure you disable iso cache, and enable high memory layout to allow acces to the extra 32MB ram. (can be changed from your cfw menu ).”

Can’t find the above options…

Stuck when running gba & pce cores,

Nes and gameboy are working OK,

Galaga 88 in PCE is running when using the rom directly without zip file,

Still can’t find the above options and can’t run gba roms…

Well, my test configuration: PSP-2008, 6.60 PROMOD-C, recovery menu settings: CPU CLOCK GAME - default UMD ISO: Inferno Memory Stick Speedup - None Inferno & NP9660 Use ISO Cache - disabled Force High Memory Layot - Enabled

Core: Cave Story (NXEngine) - works, but booting is very slow Core: Doom (PrBoom) - works EDIT: fixed Core: GB/GBC (Gambattle) - works fine Core: GBA (TempGBA) - works fine, cosmetic graphical artifacts can happen, good fps in heavy games, sound is not very well EDIT: oops, forgot to put gba_bios.bin to system folder. Core: MSX (fMSX) - works EDIT: fixed bios trouble Core: NES (FCEUmm) - works fine Core: PCE (Mednafen) - works fine

• all roms that was used in tests are not in zip archives, RetroArch setting is default

How can i disable the fps timer? Do i need to enable MC speedup and force 333MHz in GAME mod to get more performance? Sorry for noob questions, thanks.

EDIT2: is it possible to integrate NES/SEGA ad hoc multiplayer? EDIT3: I’ve found most important video settings, so go to: note button -> VIDEO OPTIONS -> Aspect Ratio Index - and set - 16:9.

“oops, forgot to put gba_bios.bin to system folder.”

What is the system folder ?

RetroArch:

ms0:/PSP/GAME/RetroArch/cores/system/gba_bios.bin

original location:

ms0:/PSP/GAME/tempGBA/gba_bios.bin

RetroArch:

ms0:/PSP/GAME/RetroArch/cores/system/gba_bios.bin

original location:

ms0:/PSP/GAME/tempGBA/gba_bios.bin[/quote]

It is working now, Thanks !!!

“Edit 2: The TempGBA core saves and loads the savefile from the rom directory ignoring the set savefile path setting. It also tacks on “savefiles”+ name of the rom and ends with a .sav extension. I know those aren’t bugs but it’d be nice if the tempgba save extension would be standardized to .srm like for every other core for seamless crossplatform loading if it’s not too complicated.”

should I Put a “savefiles” before the original file name ?

too bad the PSP seems to be to weak for the SNES9X 1.53 core. was really hoping for it. :frowning: No chance for Genesis Plus GX core as well?

Bugs found until now:

• Not possible to keep a custom config. I cannot change the default path for Content (I do it, but it does still appear the default path)
  • Not working with zip files (I suppose is intended to save memory)

Performance trying emulator FCEUmm

• With “Mega Man 2 (USA)” the performance is still in between 55-58 fps, good for gameplay. Almost!! :slight_smile:
  • Running “Super Mario Bros. 3 USA” is much better, working around 59 fps
  • GBATemp
  • Advance Wars: very slow cutscenes (text messages around 47fps), good gameplay with 59fps!
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: not possible to create savefile, so not possible to play :(((((
  • The Lost Vikings: mostly perfect performance!

Disable per core configuration to fix the settings not saving issue.

first post updated with a new build.

there are currently no plans to support adhoc/wifi multiplayer. although that might change in the future.

The note key switch to the menu only for few seconds,

Then it returns back to the game…

What is the fastest sequence I should use to return to the main menu for another game ?

Can’t start H.E.R.O. on the msx core, galaga worked ok…

Alright, done some testing with the new build. Here are my results- -Gambatte seems to be the most stable core so far. I’ve tested a few games and nothing has really given me problems that I can discern. -FCEUmm is a bit iffy. It crackles a tad and doesn’t appear to be always running at 60fps. Street Fighter 2010 made the emu lock up for about a minute until it crashed and powered off the PSP. -PCE Mednafen kinda works. Bomberman has glitchy graphics and the in-game HUD is invisible. Keith Courage didn’t load and made RA crash out. fMSX doesn’t appear to work at all. Overall, I’m really happy to finally see RA hit PSP. I hope more cores get added in the future and they & everything else can run fullspeed.

H.E.R.O. starts ok here, make sure you have the correct bios files for fmsx, you can get them from its official homepage.

the menu shouldn’t close itself like that after a few seconds ( it doesn’t here ), what psp model/ custom firmware are you using ?

PSP 1000 Pro c2

The ‘restart retroarch’ option doesn’t work. After pressing ‘note’ to get to the menu pressing left or right on the dpad on some of the options makes it exit back to the game. To test go to the menu press left and right then go up/down to the next option and try.