Updating Retroarch for MacOS

I have fully configured Retroarch 1.9.0 on my Mac, but when I download the latest 1.9.1 and launch it, I see that everything reverts to a generic configuration.

I saw that support files are stored in Library/Application Support, but it appears that all the downloadable content like cores and shaders etc. gets stored directly inside the app.

The point I am getting at: is there a simple way to download a newer version of the Retroarch app and then just drag across content from the old app, so that I do not have to download all the content again and then manually re-configure the settings? I tried a simple drag and drop but it did not work.

I resolved this myself. Something must have gone wrong the first time, but it appears that this is the way to do it properly:

1. Open the package contents of the ‘old’ and ‘new’ versions of the app.
  2. From the ‘old’ app, under Contents/Resources, drag the following folders and files into the same location in the ‘new’ app:
  • assets
  • autoconfig
  • cht
  • cores
  • database
  • default.metalib
  • info
  • layouts
  • overlays
  • shaders

It appears that the ‘assets.zip’ file can then be deleted.

Make sure to use the ‘replace’ option rather than ‘merge’.

It would be nice if the Mac version could be designed to update itself.

Hi, please note that newest versions of MacOS Retroarch store all directories of your list, except for default.metalib, in the Application Support directory. So it seems no good idea for me to still have these directories still in the app directory. Obviously, the change of these directories is a great relief in MacOS. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi, kann mir jemand helfen? Hab Retroarch auf meinen Macbook installiert… beim Öffnen kommt aber nur ein schwarzer Bildschirm. Ich kann Retroarch nur über das Terminal öffnen:

Dann öffnet sich das Menü. Gibts da eine Lösung?

Hi, kann mir jemand helfen? Hab Retroarch auf meinen Macbook installiert… beim Öffnen kommt aber nur das:

Ich kann nur über das Terminal Retroarch öffnen:

Welche Version (Intel oder M1?), und kann es ein Gatekeeper-Problem sein? Also in den Sicherheitseinstellungen, dass die App nicht geöffnet werden darf? Im Zweifel würde ich auch das Retroarch-Directory aus dem Application Support Folder mal auf die Seite schieben und RetroArch von Neuem starten. Alles Gute.