Updating RetroArch

I am fairly new to using RetroArch, and I have fallen in love with the UI and multi system emmulation. It is so much better to have only one program to play games from several systems. Now that the praise is out of the way, I have a suggestion. I have noticed that it is possible to update several things from within RetroArch, but if the RA core itself needs to be updated, we have to do it manually. Example, going from RA 1.2.1 to 1.2.2, or keeping the base up to date with the latest nightly builds. This is especially true with the Android Nightlies. I wouldn’t want to download a new version every day, but once a week at least. Having the option to do this from within RetroArch would be a great time saver instead of having to navigate to the site and download the latest version. I am unsure if this is possible, or even desired by enough people, but I figured I would throw it out there.

Have fun and another congrats to the team on building a fine program that satisfies my retro gaming needs.

Yeah, we’d love to do such a thing, but it’s not really feasible for most platforms. We’re trying to push updates to the Play store more frequently now, so it doesn’t turn into a 1.0.0.2 situation, where the only version in the store is so old we don’t want to support it anymore.

That would be awesome. Maybe for those platforms that it would work for, we could maybe do something similar to what FireFox does, they have their stable release, a “beta” release, though they call it something different, and the standard nightly. I am one who wants to get somewhat frequent updates, but I do not want to always reach for the nightly. maybe something between it and stable would be cool. maybe a weekly, or monthly build. and final appologies for just dropping in and rambling like this. I have just been enjoying the week I have spent with RetroArch on both windows and Android. I even have a nice sync solution to carry my saves and games accross both platforms.